Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

by Jennifer on April 19, 2012

in Awesome Treats, Bacon Desserts, Cupcakes, Nutella Desserts

Pinit

In my last blog post, I talked about simplicity. However, in this case, the more awesome stuff I could cram into this cupcake, the better! Chocolate? Check. Bacon? Check. NUTELLA? Check, check, check! So, you should check it out! (Did you see what I did there? Hardy har-har!)

Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 1/3 cup nectar of the Gods (aka Nutella)
  • ¬†1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin pan with baking cups.

2. Cook the bacon over medium-high heat. Drain, cool, and crumble.

3. While the bacon is cooling, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the hot water, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and egg. Stir until just combined. Fold in the bacon crumbles. Spoon batter into baking cups.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

5. While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the frosting! Using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar on low for 1 minute. Add the vanilla.

6. Add the melted chocolate and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. It should look very creamy.

7. Add the Nutella, heavy cream, and salt, then mix on medium to medium-high speed for about a minute.

8. Once the cupcakes have cooled, fill a pastry bag with the icing fitted with a star tip (I used Wilton’s 1M) and make a pretty swirl. Garnish with bacon, sprinkles, or whatever your heart desires.

Find more bacon desserts here.

1 Morgan April 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

I need a cloth to wipe off the drool on my keyboard. Yum, yum.

2 Jennifer April 19, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thanks, Morgan :) They are super yummy!

3 Kim (Barefoot n Baking) April 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I can honestly say that I have never tried bacon in anything sweet, but after seeing this I am soooo willing to try. This looks so yummy!

4 Jennifer April 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, Kim! The amount of bacon is pretty small, so it just adds a nice salty/smoky flavor, not too overpowering :)

5 Francis May 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Sincerely, i don’t think i would like the taste of bacon (meat flavor, smoke flavor…) mixed to the milk and nuts of nutella. Anyone has its likings hehe :)

6 Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Everyone has different tastes! :)

7 scott June 7, 2012 at 4:08 am

best idea ever

8 Jennifer June 7, 2012 at 6:54 am

Thanks, Scott!

9 Michelle August 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hi – Thanks for the recipe! As I’m baking these, I’m also scratching my head – the cupcake calls for 1t of vanilla, but I don’t see where you actually use that in the cake. Am I blind or was it omitted?

10 Jennifer August 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Oops! Thanks for letting me know, Michelle! I’ve updated the recipe. The vanilla should be added with the oil, egg, buttermilk, and hot water. Sorry for the confusion :)

11 frida October 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Hey .. I am trying your recipe now. Somehow the batter is quite watery.. is it normal?
Thanks!!!!

12 Jennifer October 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Frida! With the addition of hot water to this cupcake recipe, it may seem more liquidy than most batters. I wouldn’t worry at this point! :)

13 Flo December 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I had a jar of nutella and I was wondering what to do with it (other then just eating it) and I needed to make cupcakes for the school concession stand. I’ve been looking for a chocolate buttercream frosting and I just found my go to recipe. Just before I put in the nutella I realized someone may be allergic to nuts so I divided my frosting (which I had doubled) so I had half chocolate buttercream and half nutella buttercream. Can I just saw awesome chocolate buttercream and double awesome nutella buttercream.

14 Jennifer December 2, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I’m so excited that you liked it, Flo! Many thanks for leaving a comment and letting me know :)

15 Kelsey October 3, 2013 at 1:48 am

Made these because my boyfriend and I have a thing for bacon desserts. He loved them! My favorite part, however, was definitely the frosting! SO DELICIOUS! Great recipe!

16 Jennifer October 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Yay! SO glad you liked them, Kelsey! :)

17 Sarah November 9, 2013 at 10:16 am

Made these with turkey bacon, almond milk instead of buttermilk and coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I topped them with maple syrup icing. I may have over mixed my batter because they turned out very chewy. Thanks for posting your recipe though because it was the easiest and quickest one I found after doing several searches on Bing and Google.