Sometimes, simple is best. My instinct is always “Do more, add more,” but I have to remind myself that this thinking doesn’t always produce the best results. You can make a recipe with only 4 ingredients that tastes amazing. This recipe is proof!
Spicy Candied Bacon
Adapted slightly from Emeril (I turned down the heat!)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb of regular bacon (avoid the peppery/spiced kind!)
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a broiler pan or a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. If using a cookie sheet, add a cooling rack. Brush the broiler pan or cooling rack with the vegetable oil.
3. Mix together the brown sugar and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl, or mix in a regular bowl and spread mixture on a plate. Press the bacon into the sugar mixture and then lay in the pan:
Sprinkle the rest of the sugar mixture on top of the bacon slices.
4. Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of your bacon. My bacon was thicker, so I had to cook it a tad longer.
5. Drain on a paper towel and enjoy!
Find more bacon desserts here.