Magic the Gathering Cookies {Game Night Blog Party}

by Jennifer on May 8, 2012

in Game Themed Desserts, Sugar Cookies

My husband and I play a lot of board and card games. So, when I was invited by the lovely Nicole at Sugar and Stitches to participate in a Game Night Blog Party, I thought long and hard about which one I would choose. Ultinately, I decided on something I haven’t played for many years, but was a big part of my childhood.

Pinit

Magic: The Gathering!

Was I the only one who played this game? I remember going to the little comic book shop in town to pick up packs and packs of new cards. There were many late night games with my cousins and agonizing over building the perfect deck. For those who aren’t familiar with the game, there are different types of “mana,” which come from different types of lands.They are:

White: Plains

Blue: Islands

Black: Swamps

Red: Mountains

Green: Forests

Snow (all lands have a snow-covered version)

Want to make your own Magic: The Gathering cookies? Here’s what you do:

Ingredients:

• Circle shaped cookies
  • Blue icing (outline and flood)
  • Red icing (outline and flood)
  • Gray icing (outline and flood)
  • Green icing (outline and flood)
  • Black icing (outline and flood)
  • White icing (flood)
  • Food writers
  • Pastry bags, couplers, and #2 tips

First, outline and flood the cookies in the appropriate colors. Let dry overnight

Trace the design of your mana symbol. You can use a cardboard template, trace over the edges of the paper, or whatever method works best for you.

I chose to trace with a food writer in a color similar to the flooded icing, but since we’ll be tracing over eveyrthing with black icing, it doesn’t really matter what color you choose.

Now, pipe over your design with the black icing with a #2 tip (you will also use white icing to fill in the snow cookie).

Let dry.

Pretty nice, huh? I did have my first cratering incident though!

See those pesky little holes? Grr. Oh well, it’s just a cookie!

Now, go and check out the awesome creations of the other ladies in the blog party!

1. LIFE and Jenga by Nicole, Sugar & Stitches
  2. Skip-Bo by Cassie, Creations by Cassie
  3. Candyland by Tara, The Shaky Baker
  4. Card Games by Cristin, Cristin’s Cookies
  5. Magic: The Gathering by Jennifer, Not Your Momma’s Cookie
  6. Mouse Trap by Sherrene, The Sugar Tree
  7. Trivial Pursuit by Heather, Twins Plus One Goodies

Find more Magic: The Gathering inspired desserts here

1 Nicole Burris May 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I love these … but I must be honest … NO clue what the game is. Even after reading the post. Still kinda lost. lol.

On a different note, the hubby and I play games ALL the time and if we ever actually meet in person WE challenge you and your hubby to “BOARD GAME OFF”…lol.

2 Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Haha – that’s ok. It was super popular with the geeks back in the day – myself included! And, I’m all about a Board Game Off!

3 Drosifila January 19, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Actually, it’s still pretty popular (and gaining popularity). So much so that they are now putting out a Magic: The Gathering Movie

4 Jennifer January 25, 2014 at 12:48 pm

My cousin still plays in tournaments! :)

5 Nicole Burris May 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Well in the words of a popular but very cheesy late 90′s movie …”Bring It On”!

LMAO

6 Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Umm, I’m kind of in love with that movie…seriously! It comes on TBS all the time and I end up watching it – Mean Girls too!

7 Nicole Burris May 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I agree! I didn’t say I didn’t like it just that it was cheese. But I love CHEESE!!!

8 Cristin (Pinkie) of Cristin's Cookies May 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I don’t know of the game Magic, but the cookies look phenomenal and make me want to play the game! I love that you and hubby play games together. I’m a game freak, but my hubby doesn’t like to play games. Thank God for the kids ;-) Great job on your cookies!

9 Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thank you, Cristin! Your cookies were so awesome :) I am glad my husband is a gamer too -makes it much more fun!

10 susie May 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Very clever theme. The game is new to me, but I grew up in a tiny town in Iowa. We played hide and seek…

11 Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Haha – we played that too :)

12 Liz @ Arty McGoo May 11, 2012 at 3:35 am

These are beautiful! The colors and the graphics are so precise and striking. Great job!

13 Jennifer May 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

Liz, thank you so much! I’m such a huge fan of your work – it means so much coming from you!

14 Moontaj May 12, 2012 at 1:39 am

I STILL play Magic! Seriously this cookie creation have earned my total love. Fav’ing! AND I know what I’ll be making for Hubby’s B-day in August!

YAY!

15 Jennifer May 12, 2012 at 1:43 am

Thanks! I’m so glad you like them!

16 Kaylyn June 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thanks a lot for posting this!! … my friends and I play Magic the Gathering .. well my bf taught me how to play and my friends are having a mini tournament soon so this would be a great surprise and treat to bring them! .. I may have to practice before hand tho .. oh and where do you get the templates?

p.s I’m sure my friends would use the cookies for actual mana :P

17 Jennifer June 10, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hi Kaylyn! Thanks for commenting :) I didn’t use any templates – the best way to go is to print out a picture of each mana symbol, trace it onto cardstock or a file folder for extra durability, and use a food writer to trace it onto your cookie. Hope this helps! Email me at jennifer@notyourmommascookie.com if you have any additional questions! :)

18 Kaylyn June 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Ok thanks :)

Ill e-mail you If i have any other questions :)

19 Courtney June 8, 2013 at 12:39 am

Magic is becoming VERY popular again. I started playing only a few weeks ago thanks to my boyfriend and my theatre director coming together on a decision to teach me. It is a big thing where I go to school and I never took the time to learn it. On my “coming out” party, (all the nerds getting together to see how awful I actually was), I decided to bake things seeing as everyone was coming to challenge me. I baked these and the 20 sided dice cookies from the Nerdy Nummies YouTube Channel. The party was only a few days ago and I meant to take pictures and send them to you and Ro but they were gone in a hot second! The idea was fantastic though!

20 Jennifer June 8, 2013 at 6:55 am

One of my cousins still plays :) I saw Ro’s dice cookies too – so fabulous! I bet everyone loved them :) Sounds like the party was a hit!

21 Nicole November 24, 2013 at 9:24 am

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for
black

22 Kay Nyman December 9, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hi there! Just wanted to say thanks for this post – I made some Magic cookies this weekend for my hubby as a birthday surprise! He’s a huge magic enthusiast and he loved them!! It was my first time decorating sugar cookies (other than being a little kid and dumping on as much frosting and sprinkles as possible haha), and it went better than I expected! So thanks again, and below is a link to my blog post about my cookies (with links back here of course) if you’d like to see how mine turned out! Love your blog, I’m sure I’ll use some cookie ideas again!

23 Jennifer December 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

They came out awesome, Kay!! I love them! Thanks so much for sharing :)