Ah, the poisoned apple.
The downfall of the naive, beautiful maidens of the world. Well, Snow White does end up with a prince for her troubles, plus a bonus “happily ever after.” Can’t beat that.
I wanted to make my own poisonous apples, without the lethal poison part. So, how about apples “poisoned” with vanilla vodka instead? Less dangerous, unless you eat tons of them and attempt to operate heavy machinery. Just say no to poisoned apples. What – they didn’t warn you about poisoned apples in D.A.R.E?
Anyway, I made them heart-shaped and then dipped them into red caramel for a truly striking look.
Poisoned Caramel Apple Bites
Adapted from Fro and a Fork
Important: Enjoy these the same day you make them! Without the skin, the caramel will eventually separate from the apple.
- Apples (I used granny smith)
- Vanilla vodka, or your alcohol of choice (about 2 ounces per apple)
- Chewy caramel candy
- Heavy whipping cream
- Red gel food coloring
- Cookie cutter of your choice or melon baller
1. Make the apple bites. You can use a melon baller to make dome-shaped bites or use a cookie cutter to add some pizazz. I cut the apple in slices and cut out the heart shape with small cookie cutter, like this:
I would have used a smaller cutter if I had one, so keep that in mind! Using this method, I got 3-4 large-ish hearts per apple.
2. Place all of the apple bites in a shallow bowl. Pour in the vodka. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour. Once the apples are properly… intoxicated, remove from the fridge and dry with paper towels. You need the outside to be as dry as possible for the caramel to adhere properly.
3. Place several caramel candies in a pot with a little heavy whipping cream (amounts depend on how many bites you are making – I would estimate that you will need 2-3 caramels per bite of my size for proper coverage). Melt caramels over low to medium-low heat. Add heavy whipping cream as needed to achieve a smooth consistency thin enough to cover the bites. Once the caramel is melted, remove from heat and add red food coloring to achieve desired shade.
4. Skewer each apple bite with a toothpick and dip it into the caramel until well-covered. Put on a serving plate and give them to an unsuspecting fair maiden!
Find more Snow White inspired treats here.