“Down, down thy soul is cast!
From the Earth whence forth ye fell!
The path of fire leads thee
To spooky Mormon Hell dream!”
After abandoning his mission partner (and therefore breaking rule 72), Elder Price has a truly terrifying dream, complete with Lucifer, Hitler, and, of course, dancing coffee cups. This fiery, spicy red velvet cupcake can be adjusted to your own heat tolerance. It features a red velvet cake base with cayenne pepper and a cinnamon buttercream frosting, dyed red and orange to represent the flames of spooky Mormon Hell. There is also cinnamon schnapps in the frosting; alcohol is a no-no for Mormons, so this is quite the forbidden cupcake! Finally, it is adorned with the numbers 72 (royal icing transfers), to represent the important rule that Elder Price broke. Make these for the sinners in your life today!
Spicy Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cinnamon Schnapps Buttercream
Adapted slightly from the Food Network
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne powder (adjust based on your own tolerance)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce red liquid food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups powdered sugar
- .75 to 1.5 ounces cinnamon schnapps
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Sift together the sugar, the flours, cocoa, cayenne, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. With a stand mixer, beat the oil and eggs on low speed until combined, about a minute. Mix in the red food coloring and the vanilla, beat until combined. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk. You should end with the flour mixture.
4. Fill the cupcakes liners about half-way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
5. While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the frosting. Using a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the powdered sugar and the schnapps. If frosting is too thick, add heavy cream.
6. Color the frosting orange and red (if desired). Roll up the frosting seperately in clear wrap, then insert both into the same pastry bag fitted with a star tip, like so:
As you frost the cupcakes, the colors with come out together, creating a flame effect. To make the number “72,” follow my directions here for royal icing transfers. I also added some disco dust for added pizazz.
It is pretty spooky, but something is missing…
There we go. Terrifying!
Find more Book of Mormon inspired desserts here.