The Night Circus Cookies

by Jennifer on June 15, 2012

in Book Themed Desserts, Sugar Cookies

“There are very few people wandering through Le Cirque des Rêves with you in these predawn hours. Some are wearing red scarves that are particularly vibrant against the black and white…You spend your last moments  at the circus as you wish, for it is your time and yours alone. But before long, it is time for Le Circque des Rêves to close, at least for the time being.” – The Night Circus

Our time with the circus has ended. Did you have fun? I know I did. But first, here is how to make your own The Night Circus cookie platter. I apologize for the lack of step-by-step pictures – this batch was done at night, and quite quickly! Some designs were inspired by The Night Circus online game.

Ingredients:

• Circle cookies
  • Small star cookies
  • Circus tent cookies (I cut these by hand)
  • White icing (outline and flood)
  • Black icing (outline and flood)
  • Red (moderately stuff flood icing)
  • Couplers, pastry bags, and #1 and #2 tips
  • Disco dust, optional

1. For the star cookies, outline with white icing and flood immediately. Most of the stars were sprinkled with disco dust for a sparkly look.

The other stars were a couple random designs with black piping icing while the white icing was still wet. A couple swirls, stripes, and polka dots add additional interest to the group.

2. For the circus tent cookies, I drew a basic design on the cookie first with a food writer, but it would not be difficult to free hand. I outlined the entire cookie and all inside lines with black icing (using a #2 tip). Then I flooded alternating sections with black flood icing. Let this section dry before flooding the rest of the sections with white flood icing.

3. For the silhouettes with scarves, I first outlined and flooded a circle shaped cookie with white icing. Let it dry completely before piping the silhouette head first (I changed up the hair for each design). You can draw the silhouette on the cookie with a food writer first, if that is easier for you – just make sure the icing is completely dry! Then, use your red icing to pipe the scarves with a #1 tip. Use variations in the thickness of the scarf so that it looks windblown. I didn’t use Sugarbelle’s tutorial for confetti, but it would probably help you pipe the scarves. The same principle applies!

Now, I must say goodbye, rêveurs. Thank you for indulging me. If you haven’t read “The Night Circus,” you’re missing out!

1 Candy June 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Too, too cute! I loved The Night Circus.

2 Jennifer June 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thank you, Candy! I really love the way this set came out.

Isn’t it such a fabulous book? :)

3 pieintheskybcn June 16, 2012 at 1:52 am

OMG Love them! So original… I bought the book last week!

4 Jennifer June 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

Thank you! I hope you love the book – I definitely did!

5 Toni June 20, 2012 at 5:20 am

how amazing! Can I please pretty please feature you and do a mini interview on my site? :)

6 Jennifer June 20, 2012 at 7:16 am

Hi Toni! I would be happy to be featured – thank you for thinking of me :) Just shoot me an email at jennifer@notyourmommascookie.com!

7 COCINA CASERA June 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hello!

First of all congratulations for your blog, I’ve loved and you’ve got a new follower.

I have found that your blog meets the requirements of CODE KITCHEN HONORED.

It is a distinction which in summary indicates that your recipes are original and honest, no copies of other blogs or misleading advertising.

HERE YOU CAN SEE A LIST OF WHAT HAS ALREADY BLGOS:

If you are interested, do not forget that you let me know by writing to beacocinera@gmail.com inserted the name and address of your blog to JOIN THE LIST!

Thanks for your honest and original cuisine.

Greetings from Cocina Casera,

8 Kayla June 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Girl, You are too good! You were featured from Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-wrap-up-8/

9 Jennifer June 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Aww – thanks so much, Kayla!! I’m so glad that you liked my cookies :)

10 Yaneri May 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Yes!! You inspired me to create these!!! Thanks for sharing these, couldn’t do the with out ya!!!! ;)

11 June g. December 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Beautiful cookies! I’ve picked up the book a few times to read, have you read it?

12 Jennifer January 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Oh yes! I really loved it. I know some were not thrilled with the ending, and I certainly understand that, but I enjoyed reading it :)

13 Yaneri May 21, 2013 at 6:16 pm

You inspired me to create these! My friend asked me to make some, since she’s having a book club at her house. She sent me to your blog. Thank u for the inspiration!!
Here’s a link to my cookies I made! Hope you “LIKE” them!
My challenge was making the tent. Couldn’t find a tent cookie cutter so I used a cupcake cookie cutter and mold it’s shape. The royal icing was a bit tricky. But all in all, she was very very happy with them!!!!
Great blog!!

14 Yaneri May 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm
15 Jennifer May 21, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Yaneri – thank you SO much for sharing! You did such an awesome job on these cookies!! I loved seeing them! :)

16 Yaneri May 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Thank U for taking a look!!! I have never read heard or read the book! Now I’m intrigued by it! So i have to read it now after i made these yummy cookies!!!
:D