It’s not easy to be a torch bearer. You have to be nominated and only 8000 people in the UK were chosen this year. Oh, and you have to be inspirational…or something. Then, you get to run around and try not to be the klutz who drops it, since you will invariably be photographed as a symbol of national pride. No one wants to be the guy who dropped the torch. No one.
These “torches” are much easier to handle…and much tastier! They are sugar cones filled with a cake pop mixture with a fiery vanilla icing. You’re totally inspirational, so try one today!
- 1 box of cake mix, plus whatever ingredients are required by the mix (I used chocolate, but feel free to use whatever you prefer)
- 16 ounces of frosting that complements the cake mix (I used chocolate frosting for chocolate cake)
- 16- 24 sugar cones
- 16 ounces of vanilla frosting
- Red, orange, and yellow food coloring
- Pastry bag and 1M tip
1. Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions. Cool completely.
2. Crumble the cake into a large bowl. Add 16 ounces of your choice of frosting and mix well.
3. Gently spoon the cake mixture into a sugar cone. You don’t want it to break! Fill cone to the top, slightly mounded.
4. Divide the vanilla frosting into two bowls. Dye half of the frosting red and half of the frosting yellow. I added a little orange to both colors to add a little more depth. It is up to you!
5. Using the same method for my star spangled cupcakes, place both frosting colors in a pastry bag fitted with a 1M tip.
Holding the sugar cone in one hand, place the icing tip in the middle of the cone, squeeze, and pull away.
It should look kind of like this:
Keep it up until the top of the cone is covered with frosting.
Do you like my choice of holder? Our honeymoon champagne flutes are good for something, at least!
6. Storing these suckers could be a challenge! I would recommend making these the same day you will serve them. You could refidgerate them overnight if needed. Their shape makes them a bit difficult to display, but I found this super cute idea for using an egg carton. You could also use wine glasses or a cupcake stand for serving.