If I had to pick a favorite dessert, it would be banana pudding. I think it’s the texture. Creamy pudding, soft chunks of banana, and practically disintegrated vanilla wafer cookies. How could I make my favorite dessert better?
Add Nutella, of course!
This dessert won’t replace banana pudding in my heart, but it is a yummy and unique alternative.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup Nutella
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 25-30 vanilla wafer cookies
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks with a fork. Whisk in the half and half until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine the white sugar, cornstarch, and water. Whisk until no lumps remain. Slowly whisk in the half and half mixture and stir constantly until the mixture boils. Boil for about one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and Nutella; mix until smooth and creamy. Let cool.
- In a baking dish, place one layer of vanilla wafer cookies, followed by ⅓ of the Nutella pudding, and a layer of sliced bananas. Repeat once more, then end with the last ⅓ of the Nutella pudding. Chill for 1-2 hours.