So have another drink
A Green Elixir
And we’ll have ourselves a little mixer
Have another little swallow little lady
And follow me down
The infamous Green Elixir plays an important, albeit small, role in Wicked. I don’t want to give too much away if you haven’t see the musical. Suffice to say that the world of Oz would be a bit different without it!
I really have no idea what the Green Elixir would taste like, but summertime calls for refreshing, tart drinks…even green ones!
My version is mostly a lemonade with a little lime (can it be a limeade with lemons in it? I don’t know the rules about classifying different -ades). I like my -ades like I like my apples – a bit more tart than sweet – so feel free to increase the sugar to your liking.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- ½ c. hot water
- 1⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 8 cups of cold water
- Green gel food coloring
- Lime slices for garnish, optional
- Combine hot water and sugar in a large measuring cup. Whisk until all sugar is dissolved. Pour into a pitcher (at least ½ gallon capacity).
- Add the cold water, lemon juice, and lime juice. Stir until combined.
- Start with a toothpick of green gel food coloring (it is very concentrated). Add it to your lemonade and stir well. Keep adding coloring until desired color is reached.
- Refrigerate until cold. Garnish with lime slices, if desired.