Recipes From My Grandmother

by Jennifer on September 4, 2012

in Announcements, Nellie's Kitchen

If you’re a Facebook fan, you know that I have been visiting my parents this week. They moved about a month ago (to a different state), and this is the first time I was able to see their new house. They live in a really beautiful area with tons of wildlife.

See?

Cute rabbit

Bald Eagle

Turkeys on the run…

Turkeys taking flight

There were also some domesticated beasties:

This beauty is SIXTEEN years old.

Practicing her posing with a professional. Work it.

In addition to molesting all of the critters with my camera, I was excited to see a little, unassuming box.

It was my grandmother’s recipe box. It is only a small portion of all of her recipes, but it is what we have left. Many are written in her own hand, but there are also newspaper and magazine clippings (including a 5 cent coupon for Total – “The delicious vitamin cereal”).

My grandmother was a firecracker of a woman. She loved to drink beer, fish, and cook. She was incredibly tall with wavy, dark brown hair. She was quite a looker.

She also battled cancer for much of her life. The day before my 13th birthday, she passed away.

I’ve decided to share some of her recipes with you this week. Don’t worry – I don’t plan on making the Gelatin Crabmeat Salad or the Poppin’ Fresh Barbecups. You’re welcome.

1 Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings September 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

Can’t wait to see some of these recipes :) Family recipes are the best!!

2 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm

You said it! :)

3 MJ September 4, 2012 at 10:05 am

I have both my Mom’s and Mother in Laws recipe boxes, in my Mom’s box I have recipes over 100 years old, “a scant of this, and a spoonful of lard” my favorite which is close to 110 years old is a Oatmeal Rasin, of course a few things have changed and my kids ask for the “Healthy Cookies” when they have a cold or just not feeling well. I couldn’t agree with them anymore that the smell of the cinnamon, oatmeal and raisins sure is comforting. Have fun and enjoy your time there..

4 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Wow – what treasures! The oldest clipping I found in the box was from 1955 – pretty old, but not 100 years old! :)

5 Amy September 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

Wow! Gorgeous pictures! I love reading and looking at pictures of old recipes, so I can’t wait to see what you make!

6 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks, Amy! I’m glad no one saw me hoofing it after that stinkin’ turkeys – that would have been quite a sight :)

7 susie September 4, 2012 at 11:45 am

my favorite recipes without a doubt. can’t wait to see what kind of wonderful things you post!

8 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks, Susie!

9 Debbie September 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Every Christmas my grandmother made Rohlicki Horn cookies. (She came to the states from Czechoslovakia as a teenager.) She never gave out the recipe but I helped her make them as a kid. Now I have her handwritten recipe. Interesting having to update the ingredients to today’s terms. One thing listed is “single cream” which I would think would be half & half perhaps since “double cream” is usually whipping cream. But from helping her, I know she used sour cream. I have to make those cookies this year…

10 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

You are so right about updating the recipes, Debbie! I’ve heard that sometimes you have to adjust the number of eggs, since eggs were smaller back then. Crazy, right?

11 Debbie September 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Oh…and thank you for not making the Gelatin Crabmeat Salad. Gelatin & Crabmeat are 2 words that shouldn’t be used together. ;)

12 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm