This is the cookie equivalent to “A dark and stormy night…”
Dramatic dark chocolate cookies with chocolate chunks and a sprinkling of sea salt. Mysterious, dark, and unexpected. Perfect for a sophisticated Halloween soiree…or a regular ‘ol weeknight when you need a little indulgence.
Treat yourself this Halloween – don’t you deserve it?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s special dark, for example)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus additional for sprinkling
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, dark unsweetened cocoa, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt together the butter and ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, following the directions on the chocolate package. Mixture should be liquidy and smooth.
- Beat together the melted chocolate mixture, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture. Dough will be sticky.
- Fold in 1¼ cup chocolate chips or chunks.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until tops begin to crack. Do not overbake! Immediately after removing from oven, sprinkle tops of cookies with sea salt.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.