The best part about coming home after a long weekend away?
Well, other than these guys.
There is something magical about scrolling through the Now Playing list and seeing what Tivo has in store for us. It is a veritable gold mine of TV! What do we watch first? Project Runway? Boardwalk Empire? Fox’s Animation Domination wins and we work our way through the Sunday evening cartoons.
We may have gotten a little carried away and I started these cookie at 8pm last night. Oops.
Luckily, they turned out awesome, so I get to share them with you, instead of just pretending that they never happened.
Usually, pumpkin cookies are fluffy and cake-like. There is nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to create a pumpkin cookie with a more chewy, traditional texture. Oh, and I added Nutella, because everything is better with Nutella. Am I right?
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter flavored shortening
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar, plus ½ cup for decoration
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place ½ cup white sugar into a bowl. Set aside
- Whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening, pumpkin, brown sugar, and ½ cup white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs. Stir in the vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Dough will be sticky.
- Using a cookie scoop, add dollops of dough to the bowl of white sugar. Roll in sugar until completely coated. You can handle the dough after coating in sugar, rolling in your hands to create a smoother cookie.
- Place cookies about 2 inches apart on your baking sheet. Do not flatten. Put baking sheet into the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. While baking, add ½ cup Nutella to a pastry bag or plastic bag and snip off one of the tips. This will make filling the cookies much easier!
- Once cookies are done baking, remove from oven and immediately press into the middle of the cookie with a utensil of your choosing – I found that my ice cream scoop was the perfect size and shape. Then, pipe Nutella directly into the center of each cookie.