Psycho Drain Cookies

by Jennifer on October 24, 2012

in Halloween Desserts, Movie Themed Desserts, Sugar Cookies

Psycho is one of those movies that I don’t really enjoy watching…

I admire it as a groundbreaking film that changed the horror industry in incredible ways. It was the first film that showed a flushing toilet, for goodness sake! Serious progress there.

All joking aside, it is an important part of horror history. It is just not my first choice when I want to watch something scary.

What do you think? Psycho – yay or nay?

To honor the one and only “shower scene”:

I made drain cookies…with blood…sorry…not really…

Purists will recognize that these drains don’t look exactly like the ones in the movie, but the spirit of the scene is there!

Psycho Drain Cookies

Ingredients:

• Prepared sugar cookie dough. You will want to use one that definitely doesn’t spread (I used this one from the awesome LilaLoa)
  • Large circle cutter
  • Medium circle cutter or glass (I’ll show you why in a bit)
  • A #12 tip (or a straw, in a pinch)
  • Gray icing, 15 second consistency
  • Red icing, flood consistency
  • Silver luster dust
  • Vodka
  • Small paintbrush
  • Pastry bags, couplers, #2 tip

1. Roll out your sugar cookie dough. Cut out a large circle.

2. Center a slightly smaller circle cutter or a round glass in the middle of the large cookie. Press down to create a round indentation. This will be the “rim” of the drain.

3. Now, it is time to add the holes of the drain. For my size cookie, a #12 tip was the perfect size, but use whatever looks best to you. I started by adding the holes in the four “corners” of the circle, to help me place the holes consistently.

Then, I added 2 more holes between each original hole.

Finally, I added the middle holes in a smaller circle and the center hole.

Bake the cookies as directed.

***If you want to make this cookie easier, color the dough gray, bake as usual, and skip the gray icing!***

4. Once the cookie has baked and cooled, outline and flood the rim of the drain with gray icing.

I used a 15 count icing to avoid creating two different consistencies, but you do whatever you prefer! Let dry for about 30 minutes.

5. Outline and flood the rest of the cookie with the gray icing.

If your gray icing begins to fall in the holes (like mine did!), use a toothpick to clean out the hole. Ok, that sounds weird…you know what I mean! Allow the cookies to dry completely.

6. Mix silver luster dust with a small amount of vodka and paint the mixture onto the cookie. This will give it a shiny look, like a drain.

7. Using the red flood icing, swirl it around on top of the cookies, like it is actually flowing down the drain. To do this, you can either let the icing flow from a spoon or put the icing in a pastry bag with a large tip – your choice!

Tap each cookie a couple times to coax the icing into the holes. If the holes get too “clogged,” use a toothpick to clean it out.

1 susie October 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

You are hilarious! I was a film major in college (yea, that was fun!) and I took an entire class on Hitchcock. He was the master. And these are really creative. I don’t suppose you are going to Cookie Con? I would love to meet you and your creative genius!

2 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks so much, Susie! I was planning on going to Cookie Con (had my ticket and everything!), but the flights were so expensive from the East coast that I had to give up my ticket :( I’m super disappointed, but I know there is always next year!

3 Tiffany October 24, 2012 at 10:16 am

haha You are so creative! I’m sure Psycho was super scary back in the day (my mom says so) but it’s just not scary in todays times. I think of it more as a chiller/thriller type.

4 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

True dat, Tiffany! It is a movie to be appreciated more than anything else…not so scary anymore :)

5 Carrie's Creations October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

these. are. AWESOME!

you think of things that i never in a million years would think of. i absolutely love it!

and i’m not so much a psycho fan either… but it might be party because i have become so desensitized by the crazy shit they make these days.

6 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

Thank you, thank you, Carrie! It was one of those cookies that I think I liked better in my head, but I still think they are pretty nifty :) And, so simple!

I agree with being desensitized…with all of the gore nowadays, some of these old thrillers lose their luster.

7 Carrie's Creations October 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

i still love The Shining. more of a psychological thriller. :)

8 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

That’s true – I still love The Shining too! So creepy :)

9 Amy October 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

Ewww…super cool…but eww! I’ve never seen the whole movie but I know the plot. Ewww, again. :)

10 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

Haha – sorry…not really ;)

11 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} October 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

You are so creative!

12 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks, Melissa!

Oh, and I know I already said this, but HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!! :)

13 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} October 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks :)

14 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm
15 Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings October 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’ve never seen Psycho and don’t really want to either…lol

16 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Haha – it probably isn’t scary to most people nowadays :)

17 Mike @ Semi Sweet October 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Wow!! These cookies are so amazingly innovative! And just in time for the Hitchcock movie coming out. Have you seen the trailer? I think it looks great (maybe even Oscar-worthy). http://www.hitchcockthemovie.com/

18 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks so much, Mike! How is it that I haven’t even heard of this movie!? So many incredible actors! I am excited to watch “The Girl,” the movie on HBO about Hitchcock’s crazy relationship with Tippi Hedren…it looks really awesome! http://www.hbo.com/movies/the-girl/index.html

19 Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me October 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Awesomely hilarious! You are prolifically incredible with your treats these days! I’m going through an exhausted period and need to siphon off some of your energy :)

20 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Awww – thanks, Michelle! I’ve been trying to be more organized and it is making it a little easier to get things done…now, is the house spotless? Not so much :)

21 Sunshine Monica October 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I love your site because you have some very creative and original ideas! I’m new to your site and also cookie baking, do you have any posts that talk about what icing to use? I’m not sure what’s the right flood consistency. :( thank you in advance!

- Sunshine

22 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hi Sunshine! I’m so glad you found my blog! :)

Cookie baking can seem a bit daunting at first and some of the lingo is confusing! Here are two posts that might help you out!

10 Steps to Perfect Sugar Cookies (includes a video from Sweetopia on icing consistency): http://notyourmommascookie.com/2012/03/10-steps-to-perfect-sugar-cookies/

Cookie Lingo: http://notyourmommascookie.com/2012/02/cookie-lingo/

Sugar Cookie Basics: http://notyourmommascookie.com/2012/01/what-you-really-need-know-sugar-cookie-basics/

Sugarbelle also has a fabulous blog post on icing consistency too: http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2012/03/consistency-is-key-twenty-second-icing-and-more/

Hope this helps! Feel free to send any questions my way :)

23 haniela October 24, 2012 at 8:14 pm

These are pretty cool!
I admire you for flooding all those areas with little holes.:-)

24 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thanks, Hani! :)

25 June g. October 24, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I’m soooo happy to have found your blog! You are amazing:)

26 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Awww – thank you, June! I love new readers :)

{ 1 trackback }