The Walking Dead Cookies

by Jennifer on October 19, 2012

in Book Themed Desserts, Halloween Desserts, Sugar Cookies, TV Themed Desserts

My husband loves zombies. I’ve already told you that, I know.

So, naturally, we watch The Walking Dead TV show. I was pretty ambivalent about it at first…I mean, another zombie apocalypse, whoop de doo.

But, I have to admit, it is an excellent show. I think the video game is even better (even though my husband has to help me with the zombie-killin’ parts…which is kind of the whole game…)

Oh, and can Lori please have her baby already? What is it with AMC and seemingly endless pregnancies, a la Skyler White?

When I saw these fabulous Funko Pop Walking Dead figurines, I knew I had to make Rick into a cookie! Don’t mess with little Rick and his cute, button nose. Look at those eyebrows – he means business!

Walking Dead Cookies

Ingredients:

• Custom cut sugar cookies
  • Black icing, outline and flood
  • Brown icing, outline and flood
  • Skin colored icing to match Rick’s skin tone, outline and flood (Wilton’s copper food coloring is great for making light colored skin tones)
  • Yellow-y/tan icing, outline and flood
  • Gold luster dust
  • Vodka
  • Small paintbrush
  • Brown food writer pen
  • Couplers, pastry bags, #2 and #1 tips

1. Outline Rick’s hat and pants with the brown icing using a #2 tip (I used a #2 tip for all of the initial outlining). Flood immediately with brown icing.

2. Outline and flood Rick’s white with the yellow-y/tan icing.

3. Outline and flood Rick’s face and arms with the skin colored icing.

4. Outline and flood Rick’s shoes, gun, and belt with the black icing. Allow cookie to dry for several hours.

5. Add additional details:

• Re-outline cookie with all colors with a #1 tip
  • Add belt buckle with yellow-y/tan icing with a #1 tip
  • Add finger lines and a cute button nose with skin colored icing and a #1 tip
  • Add gun details with black icing and a #1 tip
  • Add stars on Rick’s hat and shirt with the yellow-y/tan icing
  • Rick’s eyes with black icing

6. I wanted a couple more hours and then painted the gold luster dust mixed with vodka on Rick’s belt buckle and stars. I also added his grumpy eyebrows with a brown food writer.

1 Carrie's Creations October 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

despite looking angry, he’s so cute!!

2 Jennifer October 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

Thanks, Carrie :) The nose does me in!

3 Tiffany October 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

haha LOVE these! I wonder what’s gonna happen to the old man. Is he gonna die from blood loss? Turn into a walker? Who’s gonna deliver the baby? So many questions. LOL

4 Jennifer October 19, 2012 at 11:29 am

Things are’t looking good for Herschel, are they? I didn’t think about who would deliver Lori’s baby…maybe Rick will deliver the baby while shooting incoming walkers. That would be fitting!

5 Mike @ Semi Sweet October 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

You are on a roll, Jennifer! First, American Horror Story and now this gem. AWESOME!! BTW, I’m loving this season so far. They are finally off of that boring farm and it’s back to zombie-stabbing action. The Rickatorship is in full effect. People (dead and alive) better Rickognize! Okay, okay. I’m done with the puns. :)

6 Jennifer October 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, Mike! And, I totally agree about last season…it was kind of boring to me too. It seemed like they were just constantly yelling at Carl to get in the house…

But this new season looks awesome! :)

7 susie October 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm

love these…seems Carl has hijacked the cool sheriff hat, but he did not get his daddy’s good looks…should be a good season

8 Jennifer October 20, 2012 at 8:20 am

Thanks, Susie! I’ve always found Carl a little…creepy? It doesn’t help now that he has the hat and is shooting that gun like a pro.

9 trish October 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm

What I wouldn’t give for a cookie decorating lessons with you…your icing is so prefect and smooth, I have never seen such amazing work – so intricate!

10 Jennifer October 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh, Trish, thank you! It is an ongoing battle between me and icing consistency :) Sometimes I get lucky, other times, not so much. I’m so glad you like these cookies!

11 Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs October 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. SO cute! My husband also got me watching The Walking Dead. We’re currently catching up on season two. The deal was one episode of The Walking Dead for one episode of Downton Abbey, but now we both like both shows haha! Take care!

12 Jennifer October 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

Thanks so much, Whitney! We also both love Downton Abbey, but there are some shows that I just can’t get behind (*cough* Supernatural *cough*).

13 Amy October 21, 2012 at 12:23 am

Awww…cute and angry all in one cookie! You love horror movies but you can’t kill the zombies in the Walking Dead video game? What’s up with that?

14 Jennifer October 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

That is all to do with my inadequacy in video games. I’m just no good at it. I keep dying, get frustrated, then give up and be grumpy. I avoid this whole cycle if my husband kills the zombies in the first place :) I like the figuring out puzzles, scrounging for supplies, making decisions, etc. A lazy gamer, if you will!

15 Cat October 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Aw, he’s actually such a cutie. I’d almost struggle to eat such an adorable little zombie killer. I love the walking dead comic book, expensive but brilliant!

16 Jennifer October 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Thanks, Cat! My husband had no trouble scarfing him down :)

17 Elizabeth @Food Ramblings October 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

These are the cutest!!! My husband loves the walking dead too!

18 Jennifer October 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth! :)

19 Amos Maldonado October 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

These are awesome!!!!! Funko wants some!!! ; ) You should use a little red food coloring spatter for blood.

Amos

20 Jennifer October 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Thanks, Amos! So glad you like them :) I’d be happy to make some cookies for Funko – just shoot me an email at jennifer@notyourmommascookie.com!

Oh, and you’re totally right about a little blood splatter!

21 June g. October 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

Walking dead cookies and figurines?! What a great day!

22 Jennifer October 23, 2012 at 9:57 am

So glad you like them, June! :)

23 Julie @White Lights on Wednesday October 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

My bf is going to freak when I show him these cookies. He’s a huge Walking Dead fan. Great idea!

24 Jennifer October 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thanks so much, Julie! :) I had a blast making them!

25 Sunshine Monica October 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

AHHHH I LOVE THIS! I have the little funko doll on my shelf. :)

26 Jennifer October 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Awesome! :) I don’t have any of them, but they look so cute!

27 Printabelle October 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm

You did great on these cookies. My first thought was OMG sooo cute! And then I thought, hey, these look a lot like those funko figures. LOL. Love them!

28 Jennifer October 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to get my hands on one of the figurines :)

29 Hester October 24, 2012 at 4:00 am

Wow, these cookies are really nice! How long did it take to make these?

30 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hi Hester! That is a tough question to answer – cookie decorating takes a long time! It took me about 45 minutes to make, roll out, hand-cut, and bake the cookies themselves. Making the royal icing and then altering the consistencies, adding color, and bagging probably took another 45 minutes or so. The decorating has to be done in stages to allow drying before adding new layers – it is funny because the actual decorating takes the least time of all – it is all of that drying time! It took me the better part of a day of total time, but there was a lot of drying time in there, so I could be working on other things :)

31 Hester October 25, 2012 at 1:11 am

Thanks for the answer! Although it takes a very long time, it is worth it!

32 Jennifer October 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

I agree with you there! :)

33 Peggy October 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I love this. Please link it to my linky party & anything else you have to share. It just went live a little early :) Thanks, Peggy. http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/10/whatcha-work-up-wednesday-5-linky-parties-are-back.html

34 Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thanks, Peggy! I’ve linked up…thanks for the link party! :)

35 The Bearfoot Baker October 28, 2012 at 8:22 am

I have never see The Walking Dead but, I really like this little guy! He looks mad but great!

36 Jennifer October 28, 2012 at 8:57 am

It is such a great show, but there are lots of gross scenes…I look away frequently!

37 Amanda Blain October 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

Oh my god I totally love these cookies :) Such a unique idea. Nom nom nom!

38 Jennifer October 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Thanks so much, Amanda! I appreciate it :)

39 louise October 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hilarious! Are you going to do the zombies too??? Fun!

40 Jennifer October 30, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Thanks, Louise! Gotta save some ideas for next year – it is Rick by his lonesome this Halloween! ;)

41 Geeky Hooker November 1, 2012 at 4:53 am

Oh my god. American Horror Story AND Walking Dead?!?! You. Rock.

42 Jennifer November 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

Thank you!! I can’t help myself :)

43 Melissa November 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi Jennifer! Can I ask you what cookie cutter you used, and what type of homemade icing works best for this type of decorating? I am making these for a family member for Thanksgiving and he will love them. Thank you!

44 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hi Melissa! For these cookies, I hand cut them. I printed out the design, cut out the shape onto light cardboard (something like a file folder works well), and then used a paring knife to cut them out of rolled sugar cookie dough. Not the quickest method, but nothing beats a custom shaped cookie! :) For icing, I almost always use royal icing, and switch between a number of different recipes – from this one to this one. Hope this helps! :)

45 Melissa November 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Thank you so much for the info Jennifer! I am going to attempt these this weekend! Fun!

46 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Great! I’d love to know how it goes, Melissa! If you have any trouble, shoot me an email at jennifer@notyourmommascookie.com and I’ll try to help!

47 Sherry January 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

Jennifer; I LOVE these!

I just found your blog (I was looking for Shark Cupcakes and I am looking forward to making your Blood in the Water Cupcakes this summer!) and I am amazed. You are so talented.

I am also now obsessing over making your Walking Dead Cookies. I have a Walking Dead Survival Cooking blog so I’m always on the lookout for Zombie inspired cooking. When the series starts up again in February I want to make them. Well done.

Sherry

48 Jennifer January 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Awww, thanks so much, Sherry! I’m geeking out over the idea of a Walking Dead cooking blog – checking it out now!!

49 Sherry January 14, 2013 at 9:03 am

You’re welcome!

50 Janine - sugarkissed.net February 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

Oh, Rick. How the mighty have fallen.

These cookies are so fun, Jennifer. I just had to include them in my roundup of Seriously Sweet Finds for The Walking Dead Fans! The list wouldn’t be complete without them :)

51 Jennifer February 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

I know – he’s not quite the hero any more, is he? Thanks so much for the mention! :)