Mailing Mini Holiday Cookie Boxes

by Jennifer on November 16, 2012

in Awesome Treats, Christmas Desserts, Sugar Cookies, Winter Desserts

I love holiday cards.

I love sending them, receiving them, flipping through them in stores (hello, Papyrus at Target with all your cute little embellishments!). I love ‘em, love ‘em, love ‘em.

But, I did something a little different last year…

Holiday cookie boxes!

These were a huge hit with my family and friends and they may not be as expensive as you think.

Here’s how I did it:

Supplies:

• Holiday cookies
  • Mailing boxes
  • Clear cello bags
  • Paper shred
  • Card stock (plain white and/or colored, depending on your design)
  • Double sided tape
  • Lots of beautiful holiday stamps
  • Mailing labels, optional

1. Designing/Choosing the Cookie

For me, it all started with a cookie idea.

This was right before my blogging days, so I adapted a design I found online here, by Dessert Menu, Please. I tailored the number of stockings depending on the number of family members!

If you wanted, you could even do smaller cookies rather than one large one.

Don’t decorate sugar cookies? No problem! You can send almost any type of cookie or treat. Just be aware of travel times with other types of cookies – sugar cookies will last a long time if packaged correctly, while most drop and bar cookies will last about a week.

2. Choosing the Right Size Mailing Box

Once you have chosen your cookie design, you will need to choose a mailing box that is the right size for your cookie. These fireplace cookies were made with the largest cutter in this set, so they were 4 1/2 inches long. You will want at least 1/4-1/2 inch of space between each side of the mailing box and your cookie.

For my cookies, this box from Paper Mart was the perfect size at 5 1/2 x 4 x 2. I just wish it came in kraft in addition to white! Paper Mart has tons of different shaped boxes, so you should be able to find one that would work with your chosen cookie.

Paper Mart only sells these boxes in bundles of 50 or 100, so depending on the length of your holiday card list, you will probably end up with extras. I recommend saving them to use the next year, since friends and family will want these awesome cookie boxes again instead of regular cards!

3. Designing the “Card”

Because these tuck top boxes open “up,” I decided to add a message attached to the inside of the box. I’m not graphic designer, and it definitely shows here! Still, I do like the effect.

First, I measured the space where the card would go. I wanted a splash of color, so I cut out pieces of red card stock that would fill the entire space. Then, I used Publisher to make smaller cards to go over the red, while still allowing color to peak around the sides.

Make your cookie box even more special by making the “card” and the cookie match. I chose a “warmest wishes” tagline to go with my fireplace cookies!

I attached both pieces of card stock to the inside of the box with double sided tape.

4. Assembling the Cookie Box

Once your cookies have been baked, decorated, and allowed to dry, it is time to assemble your cookie boxes! Place each cookie in a clear cello bag. Use tape or ribbon to close the bag.

Put some paper shred into the box. Place cookie(s) inside. Put more shred into the box, filling in the spaces around and above the cookie (and between if using more than one cookie). Once you close the box, you should be able to shake it and not hear any movement inside. If you hear movement, add more shred. Secure the box opening with tape.

5. Postage, Labels, and Finishing Touches

To cut down on cost, I found a pretty wrap around label that I liked here. You can also buy a printable file on Etsy for $10-$15. I printed my labels on full-sheet sticker paper, but you can print them out on light card stock and attach them instead. I recommend wrap around labels because if you want to put pretty stamps on your boxes, you may not have enough room for your return address!

As for postage, you can either weigh each box yourself (once it has been completely assembled) or take it to the Post Office to get an accurate figure for the postage required. I mailed my cookie boxes using first class mail, which seemed the best compromise between price and shipping speed.

Having trouble finding all of the holiday stamps you want? Order them online! You can get as many of the exact stamps you want and only pay $1 handling charge per order.

For my shipping weight, each box needed 5 first class stamps (.44 cents then, I believe) and a .02 adjustment stamp to get to $2.22 per box.

My total cost per box: $2.22 for shipping, about .60 for the box itself (including Paper Mart shipping), free labels, and I used card stock and sticky label paper that I already had, so about $2.82 per box, not including the cost to make the cookies themselves, which is pretty negligible!

So, not cheap, but a beautiful and thoughtful gesture that I promise your friends and family will love!

1 Lizy B November 16, 2012 at 11:29 am

This is fabulous!! Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone! I just pinned and shared on facebook!

2 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thank you, thank you, Elizabeth! I’m so glad you like them :) They are so fun to make!

3 Patricia @ ButterYum November 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

Totally adorable – what an ambitious project. I’m impressed.

4 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks, Patricia! You could totally make these with other types of treats too, like drop cookies and candies – a lot less work than decorated sugar cookies!

5 Patricia @ ButterYum November 16, 2012 at 11:41 am

Oh yes, any gift from the kitchen is good, but these fireplace mantle cookies are the bomb. :)

6 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 11:43 am

Thank you! It was only my second time decorating sugar cookies, so it took me forever, but it was so worth it :) They were the cookies that really got me into cookie decorating!

7 Carrie's Creations November 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

i am so in love with this idea. i need to go count my card list and see if i can manage it! thank you thank you thank you!!

8 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

You’re welcome, Carrie! I’m such a dork for fun, mail-able stuff, so I loved making these for everyone! I can’t wait to do it again this year :)

9 KerriMae November 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm

<3 I was a lucky recipient of one of these cards last year, and they are even more gorgeous in person!!! (I wanted it to keep FOREVER, and hang it on my tree!!!! lol!) This is such a terrific idea for Christmas – I'm so glad you reminded me in time to try it this year! Thank you, Jennifer!!!!

10 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Awww – thank you, Kerri! That reminds me, I have to get your new address so I can send you one again this year! I’ll email you :)

11 Mike @ Semi Sweet November 16, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Wow, incredible idea! I know my friends and family would much prefer a cookie than a card in the mail. I’m sharing this on FB; you may have started a new holiday tradition.

P.S.- That’s your second decorated cookie?! Very impressive!

12 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Awesome – thanks, Mike! It was my second cookie – my first was Bridget at Bake at 350′s peppermint candy cookies, which also took me FOREVER :) It got me hooked though!

13 Mike @ Semi Sweet November 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Bridget’s blog was also the gateway to my cookie addiction! I remember taking forever to ice when I was a newbie, too. I’m glad I stuck with it because I’m much faster now.

14 Ashley November 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh my goodness those cookies are adorable! I love them!

15 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Thanks so much, Ashley! :)

16 Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me November 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Dude, wicked cute and I love that you included the cost breakdown. Given how *amazing* your cookie boxes look, I’m so impressed that you kept the cost down! If you haven’t yet, pat yourself on the back! ;)

17 Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thank you, Michelle! I got the idea last year, but thought, “No, that would be too expensive.” When you break down the cost though, it was cheaper than I expected! Plus, I would always buy the fancy cards, because I’m a sucker for pretty paper :)

18 Sue {munchkin munchies) November 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Fun to give and so fun to receive!!! What an amazing idea from beginning to end! LOVE it!

19 Jennifer November 17, 2012 at 7:27 am

Thanks so much, Sue!! :)

20 Melissa November 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

This is such a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing it!

21 Jennifer November 19, 2012 at 8:07 am