Buddy the Elf Spaghetti Cupcakes

by Jennifer on December 21, 2012

in Christmas Desserts, Cupcakes, Movie Themed Desserts, Winter Desserts

I’m a sucker for a holiday movie. I throw all of my criteria for what makes a “good” movie out of the window if it has anything to do with Christmas.

Like, Christmas With the Kranks. Normally, not such a great movie. During the holidays? A delight!

Jingle All the Way. Only in December is this movie tolerable.

And even Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Yes, I have seen it. I’m not sure if I regret it…

Will Ferrell is pretty hit or miss with me, but I can’t help but love the movie “Elf.”

It is delightfully cheesy and sweet – I can’t help myself! Despite the tragic hair color of my girl Zooey Deschanel, I love everything about it!

If you’ve seen it, you know that elves have a strange diet consisting of candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup. Buddy the Elf loves to dump loads of sweets onto his pasta – now you can too! Without actually eating pasta with chocolate and marshmallows. Because that would be horribly gross.

Buddy the Elf Spaghetti Cupcakes

Ingredients:

• Any type of prepared cupcake, baked and cooled (if you’re concerned about the color of the cupcake showing through the icing spaghetti, pick a light colored cake, like a yellow or white cake)
  • Canned frosting, vanilla
  • Canned frosting, chocolate
  • Food coloring (I used a makeshift mixture of brown, yellow, and orange to achieve a “pasta-like” color)
  • Pastry bag, coupler, and #12 tip
  • Mini marshmallows
  • Poptarts, broken into pieces
  • M&Ms
  • Other garnish items, as desired

1. Place cupcakes in a shallow bowl. I had a pasta bowl that worked perfectly for this! I was able to fit 7 cupcakes into my bowl, but you may have more or less depending on the size of your bowl.

2. Color the vanilla icing until desired “pasta” shade is reached. Frost the cupcakes in the bowl, making one unified surface (don’t worry about the little gaps around the edges).

3. Put the rest of the paste colored icing in a pastry bag fitted with a #12 tip. Here’s the fun part! Pipe lines of “pasta” all over the cupcakes, paying special attention to the edges and filling the gaps.

4. Put a small amount of canned chocolate icing into the microwave and heat at 50% power for 30 seconds, or until smooth and liquidy. Pour/drizzle the chocolate icing over the pasta. Chocolate icing works well here because it is not as liquidy as chocolate syrup and will keep its shape, but will never completely harden, making it easier to eat!

5. Top with desired garnishes: mini marshmallows, poptart pieces, M&Ms and more!

6. To serve, remove cupcakes by using a fork or other utensil to pull it out through a gap and then eat as usual. It will be messy, but Buddy the Elf would approve!

1 Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} December 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

I love this! It might be too sweet for me to actually eat, but it’s adorable! I just watched Elf the other day (for the 5th time). :)

And I completely agree with you about Christmas movies. I’ll watch anything… don’t care if it sucks, I’m all over it! LOL.

2 Jennifer December 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

Thanks, Rachael! They are quite sweet, so you can definitely adjust the amount of toppings to your liking. It really is so easy and fun to make!

3 Elizabeth @Food Ramblings December 21, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Elf is amazing– the other three made the top 10 worst holiday movies :) Love your dish– so creative!

4 Jennifer December 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Haha – I’m totally not surprised about that. Doesn’t stop me from watching them though ;)

5 Mike @ Semi Sweet December 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Great idea! I’m with you about Will Ferrell… he’s just eh, but Elf is awesome! I love that this dish gives you a license to be messy.

6 Jennifer December 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Thanks, Mike! I did love him in Stranger Than Fiction though!

7 Carrie's Creations December 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Oh. My. Godd. You didn’t. I love you so much more now, and I didn’t think that was possible. These are so genius and so amazing!! And I was just watching this movie last night wondering how gross it really would be. Haha.. You’re awesome Jennifer!

8 Jennifer December 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Awww – thank you, Carrie!! I think the movie is so hilarious, I just had to do something :) My husband loved them, despite how messy they are!

9 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious December 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I’m a sucker for holiday movies too! Jingle All the Way is awesome! And Elf – I’m not a Will Ferrell fan but he is hilarious in this! And I can’t believe you created his spaghetti. This is just too cute.

10 Jennifer December 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Thanks, Chung-Ah! It was so fun and easy to make :)

11 TRISHA December 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm

pretty awesome indeed – I LOVE ELF and thanks for the reminder on the other great movies. Merry Christmas, not sure I will get back to doing blog rounds b/4 Christmas so have a great holiday!

12 Jennifer December 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks so much, Trish! Hope you have a fabulous Christmas! :)

13 Sue {munchkin munchies} December 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

You are AWESOME, Jennifer! :)

14 Jennifer December 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Thanks so much, Sue! :) You, my dear, are super awesome as well!!

15 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} December 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

These are so incredibly creative & your styling is awesome!

16 Jennifer December 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

Thanks, Melissa! I always struggle with food styling…I think it’s time for me to bite the bullet and get some little milk bottles, plates, straws, etc. :)

17 Kristina (paddle attachment) December 23, 2012 at 1:31 am

Fabulous! I just watched Elf tonight and it just keeps getting better and better! Santa? I know him!!! Love the crumbled pop tarts on your cupcakes. Buddy would approve. (; Kristina

18 Jennifer December 23, 2012 at 8:48 am

Thank you! It is such a fun movie – I love it more and more every time I watch it :)

19 Jocelyn @BruCrew Life December 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I totally thought that was spaghetti at first:-) Such a fun idea for the cupcakes though!!!!

20 Jennifer December 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Thanks, Jocelyn! It does looks just like spaghetti :)

21 shannon January 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh lord! I’ve found it! This is just magic…one of our Christmas traditions is to watch Elf christmas morning and now I’m gonna have to add this to it.

awesome!

22 Jennifer January 15, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks so much, Shannon! It is easy, but looks so realistic :)

23 Nicole December 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Are you KIDDING me?!? These are awesome!!! I can’t tell you how excited I am about this! My kids LOVE Elf (we do too) and we just watched it last night. The boys would think this was awesome! I’m totally making these for Christmas this year! Love it :)

24 Jennifer December 8, 2013 at 4:50 am

Thanks, Nicole! It is one of my favorite Christmas treats and SO easy!

{ 1 trackback }