Charlie Brown Christmas Cookies

by Jennifer on December 18, 2012

in Christmas Desserts, Sugar Cookies, TV Themed Desserts

The holiday season means a lot of things to me. Like, sweater weather. Twinkling lights. Hearing Christmas music in every store.  Finding the perfect gift. It also means holiday TV specials!

Every year, I make a list of all of the holiday TV specials that I MUST WATCH. Why the same list isn’t kept every year…I don’t know. I always seem to make a new one. It includes obscure ones that I have on DVD (like my two favorites: Garfield Christmas Special and Claymation Christmas – who doesn’t love the California Raisins? Am I right?…) The list also includes the evergreen favorites that are still on TV today, like Rudolph and Frosty.

And, of course, Charlie Brown!!

I had this elaborate plan to photoshop the auditorium background into this picture…before I remembered that I have no idea how to do it. I really tried, you guys, I swear. For like a whole hour. Then I decided my time would be better served making cookies. Story of my life.

Anyway, here’s the original picture:

Not too shabby right?

You have Pig-Pen:

And, musically inclined Schroeder:

Snoopy rockin’ out on the guitar:

Sally and Linus (with crazy cakes hair):

Oh, and who could forget Frieda! (I’m Googling them now…):

Oh, and little 555 95472 (not making this up!):

With his sisters, 3 and 4:

Jeez, still not done! Finally, there’s Shermy:

And Violet, who looks sad but is just concentrating very hard on her killer dance moves…

This was such a neat set (and quite a bit of work!), I decided to pack it up all pretty and send it to someone special.

I’m in love with my hot pink boxes from BRP box shop…and the blue bow just does me in! Not traditional holiday colors, but it looks like cotton candy to me! Oh, and I realize that I’m totally defeating the purpose of the window box with the white tissue paper in there, but I had to mail this sucker, so it would have looked like just a package of bubble wrap. Which would be an odd, but intriguing present.

Who is your favorite Peanuts character?

1 June g. December 18, 2012 at 7:08 am

I’m sure my husband would say I’m “Lucy”;) but I love “Peppermint Patty”. The “Pig Pen” cookie is so cute!

2 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 7:10 am

Thanks, June! They were a lot of work, but so fun to do! :)

3 Heather @ Bake, Run, Live December 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

Those are so cute! I love Pig-Pen! What a lot of work, but I know whomever received the cookies will love them!

4 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks so much, Heather! It was a lot of work, but I was so happy with how they came out! Characters can be so tricky :)

5 Mike @ Semi Sweet December 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

These are adorable and fantastic!! Violet looks likes she’s doing the Robot (the classic swing-arm-like-a-pendulum), hence she’s my favorite of this set.

6 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thanks, Mike! You are so amazing at characters and I, admittedly, am not…but it was such a fun set to make!

And, now that you say that about Violet, I totally see it! :)

7 Mike @ Semi Sweet December 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Are you kidding me? These character cookies look flawless to me! I usually have to make more than one cookie for each character because I always mess one up.

Also, thanks for Googling them! I never knew of 555 95472!!

8 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Awww, thanks, Mike – I appreciate it! :)

9 Carrie's Creations December 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

they’re so perfect! great job!

10 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Carrie! :)

11 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} December 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

LOVE them! They are perfect. I love Claymation Christmas. Brings back memories :)

12 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thanks so much, Melissa! Claymation Christmas is the best!! :)

13 Janine - sugarkissed.net December 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

Another awesomely creative cookie set! Love it!

14 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thanks, Janine!

15 Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me December 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Wow! You can tell these took a lot of thought and they came out great! Really well-executed… I can imagine that a few goofs and they might look like some really wonky Peanut characters! lol

16 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Linus’ hair came out a little wonky, but whatevs…can’t sweat that stuff! :) So glad you like them, Michelle!

17 Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

adorable– these are too cute to eat!!

18 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth! :)

19 Christine December 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I am that kook kind of mom. You haveinspired me now not only to do our wacky xmas AM photo (last year was the Hilfiger Family, this year it’s hosers (shhh)) but I am thinking that Peanuts’ dance may need to make an appearance on video…. Or maybe as a group costume for halloween… Hmmm. Good thing half the kids are old enough to legally have a drink first. Love that kid’s voice who reads the passage from Luke. What accent is that?

Anyway. Here is my issue when I am about to take on a project like yours (though your bacon cookies are the priority this wk for army son home for christmas!) How do you decide how much flow: flood icing to make? I always worry about running out or colour matching etc and then abandon project for being overwhelmed. Also, what is the best way to make the outline disappear after you flood? I’ve bought bake sale cookies where you cant even tell there was an outline at all!

20 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Hi Christine! I’m with on figuring out how much icing you will need – it is such a pain! Honestly, I’m not a great estimator, so I typically make a big batch and use the leftovers for other cookie projects or royal icing accents! I apologize that I can’t offer more guidance on this :(

But, I can help you on the disappearing outline! Whether the outline is visible or not depends on two things: icing consistency of the piping and flood icing and the time between outlining and flooding. For example, if you’re using an in-between consistency icing (like 15-20 second icing), your outline will disappear once you flood the cookie. Also, if you flood immediately after piping the outline, your outline will be less visible. If you wait, the outline will be more visible. Hope that helps!

21 Paula December 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Lucky the *someone special* who is receiving these adorable and perfect cookies!

22 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Thanks, Paula! I hope she likes them :)

23 Norma December 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Jennifer..

Your cookies are AMAZING!!! What kind of icing do you use on them ?
These Charlie Brown cookis are adorable :-)

24 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thanks so much, Norma! :) I used royal icing on these, and use it for almost all of my cookies!

25 Sue {munchkin munchies} December 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm

My favorite character (since I was in elementary school) is Snoopy! I love(d) him!
I had a Peanuts book bag, autograph book, many books, and my mom even gave me a Peanuts cake from the bakery (my only cake from a bakery) for my birthday! I used to draw all the characters for my special friend (a boy) in fifth grade and he would tape them on the inside of his desk top (that opened up:)). Sorry for the novel!
Your cookies are fabulous! An ambitious endeavor!

26 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Haha – you were quite the Peanuts fan!! My mom loves them, especially the holiday specials :) I definitely challenged myself a bit on these – character cookies aren’t my forte – but I’m so happy with how they came out :)

27 Amy December 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Amazing job on them! I totally forgot about Claymation Christmas! If you ever get a chance you have to watch Muppet Family Christmas, if you haven’t seen it already…it’s my all-time favorite.

28 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, Amy!! Yes, Muppet Family Christmas is awesome too! :)

29 Joanna December 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Adorable! All of them!
And about Photoshop. You need two layers – background with the background and top with all the black removed (so only cookies are visible). You can do that via the layer’s own menu – I did tons of this for my thesis back in uni, but now don’t remember the name – I remember that it was like erasing the black parts.

30 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, Joanna! Thanks for the info – I did find a tutorial like what you described and tried to do it, but I couldn’t find a picture of the auditorium without the Peanuts gang on it and couldn’t line it up correctly so that the background characters were hidden…oh well :)

31 Joanna December 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Then you need a separate layer for each character. If they are separate, you can move them around and adjust size, so they would cover the originals.

32 Jennifer December 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the mini Photoshop lesson, Joanna! I’m sure I will be trying it again in the future :)

33 Kristina (paddle attachment) December 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Nicely done! Love all your detail work and the icing in those teeny tiny spaces!

34 Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Thanks, Kristina! I always have trouble flooding those itty-bitty spaces…toothpicks are my life-saver! :)

35 The Bearfoot Baker December 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

You did an amazing job on these! They are all PERFECT!!!

36 Jennifer December 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Thanks so much, Lisa! It was quite a challenge for me, but I loved making them :)

37 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious December 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This is just too cute! You are a true artist.

38 Jennifer December 20, 2012 at 8:40 am

Thank you! :)

39 Amy December 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

SWEET FANCY MOSES!! I had no idea I was the lucky, lucky person who would receive these cookies! Thank you so much Jennifer! The coolest Christmas present I’ve ever gotten….and my husband has given me diamonds before…that’s how awesome these cookies are! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

40 Jennifer December 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Yay! I’m so happy you received them intact :) Merry Christmas, sweet lady!

41 Rebecca December 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm

How funny! Garfield and Claymation are my favorites too! And no one else seems to appreciate the Claymation Christmas special.

42 Jennifer December 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Totally agree – I can’t believe they don’t show the Claymation Christmas on TV anymore! I mean, it has dinosaur hosts, ice skating Walruses, and the California Raisins! What more could you ask for!?

43 Asmita October 15, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Wow!
These are awesome! Love them!

44 Jennifer October 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm

This set was so much work, but so fun too! :)

{ 1 trackback }