In the survey results so far (thanks to everyone who completed one, by the way – it’s not too late and you could win an Amazon gift card!), you guys love geeky desserts the most! Which warms my little, geekilicious heart.
I decided to appease the gods (my readers!) with some easy pixel cookies for your best lady or lad for Valentine’s Day. These aren’t the crazy complicated, yet super awesome pixel cookies that I’ve made before. These are quick and easy thanks to Wilton color spray! I got this technique idea from Britt at Lovin’ from the Oven, who got it from Candy Bar Cupcakes.
Easy Pixel Heart Cookies
- Heart shaped cookies
- Royal icing, tinted light red and light pink (20 second consistency, or outline and flood – your preference)
- Pastry bags, couplers, and #2-3 size tip
- Wilton Color Mist in red and pink (or an airbrush, if you have one)
- A thin piece of cardboard, and exacto knife, and a little patience
1. Let’s start with the template. Draw a grid on a piece of thin cardboard (you could also use a file folder). Shade in random groups of pixels, avoiding any large spaces with no shading. I thought of Tetris while shading, in terms of random shapes. Then, use an exacto knife to cut out of the shaded portions. You will be left with someone that looks like this:
The size of your pixels will depend on the size of your cookies. Mine are 1/4 inch. Also, make sure that the entire grid will fully cover your heart cookies.
2. Cover your heart shaped cookies with light red and light pink icing (I used 20 second icing instead of making two different consistencies). Let cookies dry for several hours.
3. Cover work area with parchment paper, wax paper, something to protect your counter or table. Place cookie on surface:
Place template on top of cookie, making sure that it is as flat as possible.
Lightly spray with Wilton Color Mist. Let it dry for about 10 seconds. Remove:
You should have something like this. Now, turn the template 90 degrees and spray again. It will look kind of like this:
4. Let dry completely and then bestow upon the object of your affection.
This awesome creation may be linked up to one of these link parties.