Celebration Peep S’mores

by Jennifer on February 21, 2013

in Easter Desserts, Other Desserts

Celebration Peep S'mores by Not Your Momma's Cookie

So, I’ve been reading a lot lately. And reading makes me want to write.

I was an English major in college and took tons of creative writing classes. Most of them consisted of reading your work aloud in front of the class, while they made revisions/comments on their own copy to give back to you. It was terrifying, especially for a shy, introverted gal like myself. Still, I loved it.

Then, I went to law school and barely had time to eat and sleep, so naturally, writing anything other than briefs and outlines wasn’t going to happen.

Now, here I am, post-law school by 5 years, and I’m finally getting back into it. And, it is changing my life, you guys. I forgot how much it meant to me.

I’m kind of working on something that doesn’t know what it is yet. But, there are chapters and sentences and adjectives – all of that good stuff. I don’t know what it will be. But, I just hit 30,000 words and I wanted to celebrate. With S’mores, of course.

Celebration Peep S'mores by Not Your Momma's Cookie

I found Celebration Peeps at my local Target, and I thought they were so cute with their brightly colored sprinkles. Like Funfetti…for marshmallows! So, I made some simple S’mores in the oven with Peeps. Feel free to add any fancy toppings/extra ingredients if you like- this “recipe” is highly customizable!

5.0 from 1 reviews

Celebration Peep S’mores

Peeps are a fun twist to these simple S’mores made in the oven!
Author:
Recipe type: Other
Ingredients
  • Graham crackers (for a twist, use cinnamon or chocolate)
  • Chocolate bars (the sky’s the limit here!)
  • Celebration Peeps (or any Peeps for that matter)
  • Extra toppings/fillings, optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place graham cracker squares on a baking sheet. Place two squares on the sheet for every s’more (if you’re making 5 s’mores, place 10 squares on the sheet).
  3. On half of the squares, place a Peep, sitting upright. On the other half, place a square of chocolate. If you’re adding extra fillings, sprinkle them on top of the chocolate.
  4. Bake for about 4-5 minutes. Peeps will expand slightly and brown a tiny bit on top. Remove from oven and cool for about a minute. This allows the chocolate to harden a bit – it will be very soft as soon as it comes out of the oven.
  5. Combine two squares to make a s’more! Enjoy immediately.

This awesome creation may be linked up to one of these link parties

Rate this recipe:

1 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious February 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

Too cute! I want to eat these all year long!

2 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

Thanks, Chung-Ah!

3 wittyburg February 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’ve never enjoyed the taste (or texture) of Peeps, but who could resist an oven-baked s’more?

Congratulations on getting back in the habit of writing — looking forward to reading more!

4 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

I totally agree! I don’t enjoy Peeps on their own. But, in a s’more? Delicious!

5 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel February 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

I am glad you sacrificed the adorable celebratory peeps in the name of Funfetti s’mores.. hello, genius! Also, I totally didn’t know you were an English major.. me too! I LOVED all my creative writing classes and miss writing. I try to write stories but I either want to dive right into the drama and neglect background details, or I start wanting my characters to have like, 49867234823 different things happen to them haha. Maaaybe I should stick to short stories :) keep up the good work–30K words is awesome!!

6 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’m totally like this too! I really only wrote short stories in college, even some micro/flash fiction for a class, but never anything this long. And, even though I am a huge list-maker in real life, I have to force myself to outline plot-points – I don’t enjoy that so much. But, you kind of have to do that when it’s a longer story! I do, at least :) And then I keep changing my mind, and go from thinking, “this isn’t bad,” to “this is total crap,” and back and forth. My husband has written a couple books (he self-published his first one and writes for fun), so he has been a total cheerleader and understands the whole process. It is crazy, but it has been so fulfilling, no matter where it leads :)

7 Carrie's Creations February 21, 2013 at 11:42 am

Those peeps are so cute! I haven’t seen them before.. I am going to have to try and find them for my yearly peep chocolate-dipping!

8 Carrie's Creations February 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

PS – congrats on the writing! i can’t imaging getting to 30k words. definitely a cause for celebration!

9 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Thanks so much :) I never wrote anything this long in college, so it is quite an accomplishment for me! We’ll see where it goes!

10 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

What!? I must know more about this annual event :)

11 Carrie's Creations February 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I’m also not a fan of a plain peep… but when you dip them in chocolate they become magical. Here is a link to last years.. it’s after the strawberries. http://cookiecarrie.com/2012/04/24/chocolate-dipped/

12 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Awesome! I’m totally trying that this year :)

13 Mike @ Semi Sweet February 21, 2013 at 11:45 am

I think I may be one of the oddballs that really enjoy peeps. Even when I’m slow at eating them and they get stale and tough, I enjoy them then, too. What a fun idea to bake those suckers, in a s’more nontheless. :)

Congrats on getting back into writing! I’m excited to find out what you’ve been working on! ;-P

14 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Most people I know enjoy Peeps, so I always felt like the minority…maybe that’s not the case? :)

And, thanks. We’ll see where it goes. I’m terrified that I might abandon the whole thing (I’ve really only written short stories before), which may be one reason that I mentioned it here. Some accountability may do me some good ;)

15 Janine - sugarkissed.net February 21, 2013 at 11:53 am

Good thinking, Jennifer! I never would have thought to use Peeps in s’mores. Plus, I love how simple these are. Sweet and simple…. my favorite combo!

16 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Peeps are totally awesome in s’mores! Even the regular ones :)

17 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Definitely worth a celebration – 30,000 words is awesome!
I love s’mores, these would be so fun for an after school snack.

18 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, Erin! :)

19 Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings February 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm

awesome idea!!!

20 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth!

21 jacquie February 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm

congrats on making 30,000 words – that does certainly require a celebration.

i have a friend who went to law school and was a lawyer for years and continue to write slowly but surely on the side. She even went back to school part time to get a masters in writing. just this year she stopped “lawyering” and is now trying the writing full time. so keeping writing and who knows where it will lead….

22 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm

That is an awesome story! I hope it works out for her :)

23 Sue {munchkin munchies} February 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm

We all know everthing is better with sprinkles! Congrats on your continued educational adventure, Jennifer! That’s awesome!

24 Sue {munchkin munchies} February 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm

everything

25 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Very true! And, thank you, Sue :)

26 susie February 21, 2013 at 4:16 pm

good for you…I always wanted to go to law school…but life got in the way. I love to write, and am hoping to have my first play produced….a great creative outlet, and not nearly as calorie laden as some of the other stuff I do! These are cute!

27 Jennifer February 22, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Thanks, Susie! Having a play produced would be so awesome! :)

28 Carrie@BakeNoPrisoners February 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Awww! I love these!! And I am so impressed with your writing! I have always wanted to write my own book. Maybe…just maybe, you have inspired the inner writer in me too! ;)

29 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Do it, Carrie! I always hesitated before writing because I felt like I had to have everything perfectly laid out in my head before I could even start. If I did that this time, I would have nothing, I would never have gotten started! My ideas keep changing, but I try to write a little every day, even if I don’t know where it is going. Writing leads to more writing, for sure :) I’ve been doing more outlining today and feel like I’m going into another direction again, but I think it is all for the betterment of the story!

30 The Bearfoot Baker February 21, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I am a camp person so I eat a lot of ‘Smores so I am going to try these. Thanks for sharing.

31 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I hope you like them, Lisa! You could use any kind of Peep for a fun twist! :)

32 Elizabeth February 22, 2013 at 1:26 am

Congratulations on 30K words! That’s awesome!
And, these are so colorful and look super easy and delicious! I love the way those peeps look; I’ve never seen them before. I’ll need to buy some soon :)

33 Jennifer February 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thanks, Elizabeth! :) The Peeps definitely give the s’mores some pizzazz! :)

34 The Partiologist February 22, 2013 at 8:16 am

Oven baked s’mores? LOVE the idea!

35 Jennifer February 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

Thanks, Kim! It is so easy, plus you get some of the crispiness of the marshmallow that you won’t get in the microwave :)

36 Amanda February 22, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Fun! I might need a quick treat this weekend and happen to have some peeps on hand. These might have to happen!

37 Jake March 1, 2013 at 7:30 am

I’ve never tried S’mores but these look amazing!

38 M March 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm

No wonder I like this blog. I’m a law school grad myself (’05) and when stressed or overwhelmed, I bake and write. I, too, live on the VA side of the nation’s capitol, where I find myself surrounded by excellent foodie finds and plenty of fodder for writing. :)

Thank you for the jagged cookie tip! I tried it this weekend for the first time and I’m never going back to the plain ol’ ball method! Love it.

39 Jennifer March 5, 2013 at 8:35 am

We have so much in common! :)

40 Laura Dembowski March 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Congrats on the writing! I am an aspiring novelist and just finished a screenplay. Others may say otherwise, but I think the writing is the easiest and most enjoyable part. It’s trying to sell it so people other than you read it that is not very fun. I also picked up these celebration Peeps and LOVE melting marshmallows in the oven!

41 Jennifer March 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thanks, Laura! I haven’t made much writing progress lately – with all of the time in the hospital for the past week, you would think that I would have! But now, I’m getting back into the groove :)