I have a confession.
I kind of watched the Super Bowl. I know.
It just happened. My husband and I were sitting in the living room, trapped on the couch by sleeping kitties. Instead of reading, writing poetry, or using our minds in some redeeming way, we flipped on the TV. After watching the Puppy Bowl for a while, which ALSO included hamster pilots (!!!), we just started watching it. We took a break at 9pm for Downton Abbey, and then back to the game.
To be fair, the only reason my husband was interested was because he participated in a betting pool at work (which he actually won!). I had no excuse. We mostly commented on all of the unnecessary fighting/douchebaggery of the players and rating the commercials.
Like the Super Bowl, these muffins just kind of happened. I’ve been wanting to make something with my newly acquired poppy seeds from Penzey’s and lemon is great for brightening up those dreary winter days. The gorgeous damask cupcake liners are from Bakers’ Stock!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon powdered lemon peel, optional
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- The zest of two lemons, finely grated
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- ½ teapsoon lemon peel (can substitute 1 teaspoon lemon zest instead)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered lemon peel (if using). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the sugar, milk, eggs, butter, poppy seeds, and lemon zest until well-combined. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined.
- Scoop into muffin cups. Makes approximately 18 muffins.
- Bake for 19-22 minutes or until knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Glaze: Whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon peel, and milk. Add more or less milk to reach desired consistently. Drizzle onto the tops of the muffins.
This awesome creation may be linked up to one of these link parties.