My Favorite Things

by Jennifer on February 19, 2013

in My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things is a series of blog posts highlighting things that I’m in love with right now. I hope you like them too!

My Favorite Things

1. Audio-Technica Headphones (from Amazon): With all of the writing I do for the blog (and more recently, for fun), a good pair of headphones can be invaluable. Hubby got me these for Valentine’s Day and even though I’m not an audiophile, the difference is totally amazing! I have been using them non-stop.

2. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (from Amazon): I’ve been reading a lot this year (it as one of my kind-of-but-not-really New Year’s Resolutions). This is the first book in The Mortal Instruments series (which I think will have 6 books total – 5 have already been published). I didn’t really know what to expect, but I’m kind of in love with these books. The world building is pretty amazing (kind of like Harry Potter), the romance is a definitely there, and they are action-packed (like The Hunger Games). There is even a movie coming out in August that I’m embarrassingly excited to see.

3. Pink Boxes from BRP Box Shop: I can’t say enough good things about BRP Box Shop and their products. The customer service is top-notch and the boxes are wonderful (kraft and white are available for the non-pink folks). They are perfect for gift giving your homemade treats!

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (from Amazon): I really don’t say this often, but this is a life-changing book for me. I’m now a die-hard John Green fan (and have read two of his other books since reading this one). His prose is amazingly funny and poignant and he says so much in so little words. If you want to get to know characters you will never forget, you HAVE to read this book. I even nagged encouraged my husband to read it and his assessment: “It was so good.” That’s the best you can get from him!

5. Black and White Damask Cupcake Liners by Bakers’ Stock: I used these for my lemon poppyseed muffins and I love, love, love them! Such a pretty pattern – perfect for a sophisticated treat.

6. Sephora Classic Mineral Brush: I’ve been using mineral make-up for a LONG time now. I started with the Bare Minerals brushes, but they always ended up falling apart and/or getting scratchy. After I tried this brush, I decided that I would never go back to those expensive brushes again! The bristles stay super soft, but stiff, so you feel like you can really buff the make-up into your skin. They also suck up the mineral powder like you wouldn’t believe!

1 Janine - sugarkissed.net February 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

I just tried BRP Box for the first time recently. I love how easy they make it to present your cookies in a professional way. I didn’t know they had pink boxes… I’ll have to try those next!

2 Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Oh yes, the pink boxes are the absolute best! Plus, they are just an awesome company in general :)

3 susie February 19, 2013 at 10:41 am

I am curious about the books…will have to look them up! Always looking for a good read.

4 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

Are you on Goodreads, Susie? It is such a fun way to find new books to read! http://goodreads.com/

5 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} February 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

This is great Jennifer! I did a favorite things post & enjoyed it. I need to do another one soon. I think it’s awesome to get to know someone this way. We are not all just about sweets. I hope you’ll do more :)

P.S. my sis told me I need that brush. Haven’t gotten it yet. I used minerals for years but hated the mess. I’m using Mac’s powder foundation now.

6 Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thanks, Melissa! I started doing them back in September and it is fun to share stuff that I like :) Especially books, since I have been devouring them lately!

7 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} February 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Cool! I’ll look for them :)

8 Lene/Not Your Everyday Cookie February 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love the City of Bones books! Well, I’ve only read 3 but soo good! Also embarrassingly excited about the movie!!

I use the natural brown BRP boxes and love them!! Such a great company!

I am a huge reader and LOVE books! I need to look into the John Green book!
Fun post!!

9 Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Lene, if you like young adult literature, you have to give The Fault in Our Stars a try! A seriously beautiful book. Looking for Alaska (also by John Green) is a really great book too. :)

10 Patricia @ ButterYum February 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Neat post. I’m loving that Sephora brush.

11 Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, Patricia! I won’t go back to those expensive brushes again! :)

12 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I am in need of a book right now, I will have to check this out.

13 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

I would recommend The Fault in Our Stars over City of Bones just because it is such a beautiful book. Have tissues handy!

14 Mike @ Semi Sweet February 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I enjoy your Favorite Things posts. It fills me in on things I might be missing out on. Like City of Bones, for example. I never heard of it but I so want to check it out now, especially now that a movie is coming out soon. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer!!

15 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thanks, Mike! :)

16 Elizabeth February 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I need to gather more cupcake and muffins liners. There are so many different cute designs available!

17 Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Oh, I know! I have a pretty decent variety, but I always want more :)

18 The Bearfoot Baker February 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I must know more about the headphones! Looks like hours of fun! =)

19 Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Oh, they are awesome! I’m excited to try them out in a public area. Normally, I’m too distracted to write in a coffee shop or library, so I’m interested to see if they help :)

20 marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings February 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm

My headphones are like an extension of my body. And you already know what a Cassandra Clare freak I am. I’m hoping TFIOS wins for book group because I still haven’t read it but I have a feeling that it will be one of my favorites

21 Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

I may have watched the City of Bones trailer an embarrassing number of times…I’m thinking of having a small, Shadowhunter party for the release. I bet you are! Your parties are the absolute best!

22 cat February 22, 2013 at 7:32 am

I love John Green so much! TFIOS is one of the saddest and most poignant books I read last year. He is such a great writer and although it’s easy to read (YAF) the message is something we can all relate to and enjoy!

23 Jennifer February 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

Totally agree – he is amazing! Though, I’m reading An Abundance of Katherines right now and I’m not enjoying it as much as his others looks. TFIOS and Looking for Alaska are my favorites, for sure! :)