So, I don’t really like Megan Draper.
It’s not that I dislike her, but she pales in comparison to the other female characters on the show that I find much more interesting (Peggy, Joan, even evil Betty). She’s kind of boring, despite some redeeming moments like her sexy/uncomfortable “Zou Bisou Bisou” routine.
But, enter good, ‘ol Howard Johnson and we get a new, spunkier Megan.
Don insists that Megan try the famous HoJo orange sherbet. She’s like, “Yucko, no thanks.” To which he replies:
“If you don’t eat your orange sherbet, I will whip you with my creepily realistic back scratcher.”
Ok, that didn’t happen. But, wouldn’t it have been great?
Anyway, she tries the sherbet, doesn’t like it, and asks for something else. Don thinks this an unforgivable sin and gets grumpy. So she starts downing the sherbet like it’s her job.
Don doesn’t like that either. Seriously, Don, WHAT DO YOU WANT!?
Even though Megan doesn’t like orange sherbet, it is actually a pretty tasty treat when it’s not the color of a traffic cone. Plus, no ice cream machine required! It’s not really as smooth as ice cream this way, but it is quite yummy! Be sure to add some “Just Taste It” Cool Whip!
- 2 cups orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅔ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely grated
- ½ cup orange segments, finely chopped
- Put orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, and salt into a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, reduced heat, and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream, orange zest, and orange segments. Pour mixture into a 9×13 pan (or a roasting pan) and cover. Put in freezer until frozen.
- Break up the pieces and puree in a blender or food processor. Refreeze.