My Favorite Things

by Jennifer on April 8, 2013

in My Favorite Things

favorite things

My Favorite Things is a series of blog posts highlighting things that I’m in love with right now. I hope you like them too!

1. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I’ve been reading a lot lately, which I’m seriously loving. I’ve read some really wonderful books, but A Monster Calls may be one of the most profound and amazing books I’ve read in recent memory. It is young adult, and even has striking illustrations, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It is such an incredibly honest portrayal of grief and human emotion and I cried like a baby by the end (and re-read the last couple pages several times). I was honestly blown away. This is in the running with The Fault in Our Stars for the best book I’ve read this year.

2. Polka Dot Cupcake Liners from Bakers’ Stock. Spring is (finally!) on its way, and I’m definitely digging these hot pink polka dot cupcake liners by Bakers’ Stock! Not just cupcakes – wouldn’t they be super cute party cups filled with candy at a party?

3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie. I already mentioned how much I enjoyed these books and I’m dying to see the movie! They just released the second trailer and I’ve watched it more times than I care to admit…

4. Macaron Trays by BRP Box Shop. BRP Box Shop is all about making your baked goods look fabulous and I love their macaron trays! They fit perfectly into their macaron boxes (available in several colors, from a lovely pale blue to a fun hot pink).

5. El Camino by The Black Keys. One of the few albums that I own where I love EVERY song. So awesome!

6. Ni No Kuni: The Wrath of the White Witch. Ok, I’m kind of a nerd. You already knew that, right? I’m not a huge gamer, but I probably play 2-3  RPG’s (role playing games) a year. I just finished Ni No Kuni and it was one of the best! It helps that the animation was done by Studio Ghibli and I adore their films (most people have heard of Spirited Away, but they also did Princess Mononoke and Howl’s Moving Castle – wonderful movies!). It was a blast to play.

1 Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen April 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Yay! I love the hot pink cupcake liners as well- I just used flower liners this weekend and thought to myself yay! Spring = fun/happy colors !!

2 Jennifer April 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

Totally agree, Elizabeth! :)

3 Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me April 9, 2013 at 1:13 am

I love cute cupcake liners and have pink polka dot ones in my cupboard as we “speak”! Still, they aren’t as cute as those… Must buy more! :) lol

4 Jennifer April 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

Aren’t they adorable? They have the cutest stuff!

5 Mike @ Semi Sweet April 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I love your “My Favorite Things” posts! I’m usually late to the game with most great stuff that’s out there. I feel like your posts keeps me in the know. :)

PS- I sort of have a random favorite things list of my own. Would you mind if I post something in a similar format?

6 Jennifer April 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Thanks, Mike! And, please feel free to do favorite things posts too! I’d love to see them :)

7 The Bearfoot Baker April 9, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I love BRP’s macaron trays also! They are adorable! Have a great week!

8 Jennifer April 9, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Thanks, Lisa! They have the best products :)

9 Lora April 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Those macaron trays are a great tip. Thanks!

10 Jennifer April 10, 2013 at 8:31 am

Happy to help, Lora! :)

11 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel April 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Okay, that book looks SERIOUSLY amazing.. you can’t get me to Barnes and Noble fast enough to snatch it up! My mom just finished Fault and loved it.. it looks so good but so sad! I’m toying with my courage to read it and weep :)

And those macaron boxes — too cute! In my next life I’d like to be a macaron.

12 Jennifer April 10, 2013 at 8:30 am

Oh, The Fault in Our Stars is a huge cry-fest for sure, but it is so amazing! I convinced my (sorta stoic) husband to read it and he even got a little misty-eyed :) But, he loved it! I really liked Looking for Alaska too, John Green’s first novel.

But, it’s like I can’t even explain how much A Monster Calls meant to me. Maybe it is because I was affected by a prolonged illness as a child (my grandmother’s cancer), but it is such a powerful book!

13 Sue {munchkin munchies} April 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I MUST buy some of the polka dot treat cups ASAP!!!

14 Jennifer April 10, 2013 at 8:26 am

I concur, Sue!! ;)

15 Tiff's Tasty Cookies April 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Holy crap I hadn’t seen the 2nd trailer yet. How freaking awesome! Can’t wait to see the movie. I’m reading the last book now. Love this series!

Oh and I love the Black Keys too! We’re totally twins. LOL

16 Jennifer April 10, 2013 at 8:26 am

I may have squealed a little when I saw the second trailer…a bit embarrassing! I’m waiting for the last Infernal Devices book from my library – I’ve been in the#1 position for a while and I’m going crazy!

17 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 10, 2013 at 3:34 am

Love those liners! I could see myself using those constantly!

18 Jennifer April 10, 2013 at 8:23 am

Aren’t they so cute!

19 Britt April 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I LOVE those cupcake liners! And we love your nerdiness! That’s part of what makes you and your blog so awesome.

I love reading (I’m reading Game of Thrones right now-it’s awesome), I think I’ll have to give A Monster Calls a try. I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about The Fault in Our Stars!

20 Jennifer April 11, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks, Britt! My husband has read most of the GoT books and liked them :)

21 marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings April 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Patrick Ness has been on my to read list for too long. I really have to get to it already. And you I’m crazy TMI movie it’s getting closer squeeee!

22 Jennifer April 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

Oh, it was so good, Marissa! And I just got Clockwork Princess from the library last night – so excited to start reading it!

23 Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} April 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I love your style & think you’re pretty cool. I have a goal to get back to reading more but haven’t been doing too good sticking with it. It seems blogging has consumed a lot of my life & I’m trying to get back to doing things I enjoy. Once I get through the book I’m reading I would like to read A Monster Calls. It sounds so interesting.

24 Jennifer April 13, 2013 at 10:20 am

It is an AMAZING book, Melissa!