Well, now I’ve gone and done something I said I would never do on the blog.
I went to the dark side.
The savory side.
In my defense, cheese courses straddle the line between sweet and savory and I’ve totally seen them on dessert menus. But, I always think, who chooses cheese over chocolate, cakes, or ice cream!? Not I.
But then, I met a lady who changed all of that.
For the non-Game of Thrones watchers, this is Olenna Tyrell. Not only is she strong-willed, she is feisty to boot. I can’t resist a feisty, little old lady.
There is only one thing you need to know about her.
She wants her cheese. NOW. (Cheese scene at about 3:38)
Now, I have no idea what weird, crazy cheese they were actually served. It was probably dragon milk cheese or something. I used brie instead which is totally the same thing, I bet.
Serve this easy and delicious cheese with my lemon cakes. You could serve the cheese after the lemon cakes, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You don’t want the House of Tyrell coming down on your head, do you?
- 1 wheel of Trader Joe’s goat cheese brie
- 1½ tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cold butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- Apples and toasted bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut cheese wheel in half horizontally, so you have two circles of cheese. Place one circle in the bottom of of ramekin (my white ramekins from Target were a perfect fit!).
- Sprinkle ½ tablespoon of brown sugar onto top of cheese. Top with the second layer of cheese. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar, chopped butter, and pecans onto the top of the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and yummy. Serve with apples and small pieces of toasted bread.