Have you ever been the victim of a Ben & Jerry’s flavor assassination?
The great and deep pain of this tragic event had subsided. Until one of my favorite bloggers, Miss Hayley at The Domestic Rebel, decided to have a Ben & Jerry’s themed week.
Cue the wound re-opening.
I totally forgive Hayley because she is hilarious and makes fabulous treats, but I had to do something to heal my achy-breaky heart. So, I decided to recreate my long lost love.
I give you – Cool Britannia, the best ice cream flavor EVER.
Photo from Serious Eats
So, I used my crazy easy ice cream recipe base (no machine required!) and added a swirl of sweet strawberries and bite-sized pieces of chocolate covered shortbread. It is beyond delicious!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of strawberries, chopped
- 4 shortbread finger cookies (i.e. Walkers)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Granulated sugar
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave according to package directions. Dip shortbread fingers into chocolate until completely covered. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Wait until chocolate is firm before moving on to next step (you may place the sheet in the fridge to quicken hardening).
- Chop cookies into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Place chopped strawberries in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar. Mash with a fork until it has the consistency of a chunky, liquidy jam. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk and cookie pieces Fold in the whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Add the strawberries and fold in gently (only fold in a couple times for more of a swirl effect, fold in several times if you want a red-tinged ice cream).
- Place in a covered container and freeze overnight (or at least 6 hours).