Roasted Strawberry Handpies

by Jennifer on June 6, 2013

in Pies & Crumbles, Summer Desserts

Roasted Strawberry Handpies by www.notyourmommascookie.com Before I start this post, I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for your kind words and well-wishes! It still amazes me that anyone reads my weird ramblings and to know that I have the love and support of so many makes me all teary (the pregnancy hormones are partly to blame!). I did receive a couple of sweetly concerned emails – a “high risk” pregnancy can sound a little scary! I’m happy to let you all know what’s going on; I just didn’t want to bore you with the details. If you are bored by pregnant lady woes, feel free to skip the rest of this intro and check out these awesome handpies!

My pregnancy is labeled “high risk” because I have a blood clotting disorder caused by a gene mutation (it is called Factor II, or the prothrombin gene mutation). I inherited it from my father and I have one copy of the mutated gene. I was tested for it in early pregnancy and found out that I do, in fact, have it. About 2% of the US population has it – most will never know and never have a blood clot during their lifetime! But, my doctors recommended (and I totally agreed!) that a cautious approach is best, as some studies have shown that women with Factor II can experience some icky pregnancy problems (especially relating to the baby’s growth) and are at a greater risk of blood clots.

So, I’m on a blood thinner, and will be for the rest of my pregnancy, which would be no big deal if it wasn’t a daily shot that burns quite a bit! I’m getting used to it though. My hospital stay last week was also related to my blood clotting disorder because I was experiencing a high heart rate, elevated blood pressure, and shortness of breath. These symptoms, on their own, can usually be chalked up to normal pregnancy stuff, but because of my disorder, they were concerned about a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs), which are fatal in about 30% of cases. Luckily, my scans were clear and I’m just experiencing some pregnancy-induced tachycardia (high heart rate). My blood pressure stabilized and I was kept overnight for observation.

Thanks for bearing with me -I just wanted to explain everything to you! Back to our regularly scheduled post…

I promised you embarrassing stories that I’ve been itching to share. Here is the first of several!

My husband came with me to my first prenatal appointment. They were going to do an ultrasound and then I would meet with a nurse practitioner. I was super excited for my husband to be with me during the ultrasound, but since I was due for my annual “lady” visit anyway, I figured that they might go ahead and do that while I was there, and frankly, my husband does NOT need to be in the same room as a speculum in use. Just…no. So, hubby was with me to see the little kidney bean shaped baby and then banished to the waiting room for the rest of my appointment.

The nicest nurse practitioner in the world comes in. She is super smiley, and I LOVE super smiley people. They put me at ease. She has the personality of a sweet grandmother, which makes my subsequent awkward comment even more horrifying.

She looks at the empty chair in the room and asks where my husband is.

Now, in the second before I answered her, I didn’t think much about the question. I didn’t consider how she knew I was married or that my husband was in the building, but not with me. My brain made the assumption that she knew my husband had been with me, and now he wasn’t.

So, I said…

“Oh, he was just here for the fun part.”

By fun part, I meant the ultrasound. It wasn’t until a second later that I realized that, from her perspective, I was probably referring to the “sexy time” that resulted in why I was there in the first place.

She quickly moved on with the visit and I never got to clarify that I was not referring to my reproductive activities.

Awkward…

Roasted Strawberry Handpies by www.notyourmommascookie.com

So…yeah…roasted strawberry handpies. You know you want some!

Roasted Strawberry Handpies

Author:
Ingredients
  • 1 lb strawberries
  • ⅔ cup granulated sugar
  • 2-3 refrigerated pie crusts (each pie crust makes about 5 pies, depending on size of cutter)
  • 1 egg plus 2 tablespoons water
  • Sanding sugar, optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Cut strawberries into 1 inch pieces (approximately uniform size). Place in a bowl and sprinkle sugar onto top. Toss to coat. Place strawberries on baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir, and then bake another 10 minutes.
  4. Allow strawberries to cool before using in handpies (can be made in advance!).
  5. Unroll pie crusts onto lightly floured surface. Cut out circle shapes with a cutter. Place pie crust circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add a small amount of roasted strawberries and juice to the center of each circle (how much depends on the size of the circle cutter you are using. Less is more!).
  6. Beat egg with water in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the outside of the pie crust circle with the egg wash. Fold over each circle over filling, making a half moon shape pie. Using a fork, press tines into the edges to seal the filling inside. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
  7. Bake pies at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Rate this recipe:

1 Carrie's Creations June 6, 2013 at 11:53 am

haha that’s hilarious! my first appointment went about the same but i made him stay in the room while my “lady” visit was being done. Up by my head of course, because he does NOT need to see what’s actually going on.

2 Jennifer June 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

I guess if he was there, I could have avoided the whole awkward comment in the first place ;) He had no problem lounging in the waiting room playing on his phone!

3 Patricia @ ButterYum June 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm

First of all, yikes. When you said high risk, you meant it! All seriousness aside, you had me cracking up with the two possible meanings of “fun part”. My daughter asked why I was laughing, adn I COULDN’T TELL HER!! Ugh. Trust me, as a woman who’s had 4 children, there are things the hubs just doesn’t need to see. and your “lady visit” is one of them.

4 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:51 am

Amen, Patricia. He really didn’t mind missing that part of the appointment ;)

5 Sue {munchkin munchies} June 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Too funny, Jennifer:) I am so going to make these very handpies! Roasted strawberries? YUM!
I hope all goes smoothly with your pregnancy. Glad the docs (and you) are on top of it:) I will keep you in my prayers.

6 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:50 am

Oh, how funny! That has totally happened to me, too :) I’d love to see your version!

7 Laura Dembowski June 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm

These handpies look amazing! I love little individual pies like this.

8 Jennifer June 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Me too :) I love pie crust, so I like the crust to filling ratio!

9 Amy June 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

That’s hilarious! Not the self injections/blood clot gene stuff, but the “he was just here for the fun part” stuff. Who’s making you ultrasound cookies for your baby shower?! :)

10 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:49 am

I need to assign that task to someone for sure! :)

11 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

HA! You will have to bring your husband to every appointment from now on, and just hope you get that same nurse!

12 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:49 am

I know, for real!

13 Mike @ Semi Sweet June 6, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Too funny! Awkward stories are always the best. :) Will you see this nurse practitioner again? Maybe bring your hubby and keep him in the room next time to smooth things over.

14 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thanks, Mike :) I haven’t seen her since that appointment, so I think there is a good chance that I won’t see her again (I’ve seen some of the same nurses, but since she is a nurse practitioner and I’m only seeing my doctor now, I think it is a slim chance!).

15 The Bearfoot Baker June 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I am so glad you and baby are OK and I will pray for you both during your pregnancy.

Hahahah That poor nurse! I can only imagine what she was thinking! And POOR YOU!! So funny!!!

16 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

I KNOW. My brain didn’t process the whole thing quickly enough to correct myself…and then it felt awkward to bring it up… :(

17 The Partiologist June 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm

You come up with the most wonderful creations! Love your little story too! :)

18 Jennifer June 7, 2013 at 7:46 am

Thanks, Kim! I’m all for sharing embarrassing stories ;)

19 Paula June 7, 2013 at 8:27 am

Funny story, thanks for sharing. I’m sure you and your husband had a few laughs over it on the drive home.

Seems that you are in good hands and that your Dr. is going to take wonderful care of you and the baby throughout this pregnancy. Will keep in you my prayers and hope that even with the concern/worry over the risk you are dealing with that you are able to thoroughly enjoy the coming months.

Take good care.

20 Jennifer June 8, 2013 at 6:54 am

21 Yvonne @ bitter baker June 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm

hahha, OMG, you’re hilarious! That’s totally something I would say without thinking about it. I hate when you run out of time to explain the misunderstanding, but on the other hand, that nurse probably has a funny story to tell now too :) Plus, these pies are adorable!

22 Jennifer June 8, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Thanks, Yvonne! :)

23 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 9, 2013 at 1:53 am

Wow, I love how easy these handpies are!

And thanks for sharing about your pregnancy. Here’s to a smooth pregnancy! If you need a box of homemade cookies, I’ll be happy to send you some :)

24 Jennifer June 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

You are the sweetest, seriously :)

25 Stephanie (Ellie's Bites) June 9, 2013 at 7:53 am

Just one of many future awkward moments as the blood is redirected from your brain to the areas that need it more :)
I’m glad to read that you’re being we’ll taken care of!
Thanks for another use for the delicious strawberries we’re pulling out of my day’s garden now!

26 Jennifer June 9, 2013 at 9:33 am

Thanks, Stephanie! :)

27 Courtney @ BakeMeBetter June 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

That is funny! I say let her wonder. ;) You are being such a good mom staying on top of things with your health. Keep up the good work!

28 Jennifer June 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Haha, thanks, Courtney! Hopefully she had a chuckle about it later :)

29 Jocelyn June 10, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Funny story!! I can’t wait to hear more ;) And yummy strawberry pies!!

30 Jennifer June 11, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thanks, Jocelyn!

31 Liz June 11, 2013 at 3:35 pm

During my first ultrasound, the tech had to get out the “wand” because the regular u/s machine wasn’t seeing the baby. My husband was about ready to go when the tech said “Oh, no. You got her into this, you can handle this.” It was hilarious.

32 Jennifer June 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm