Switching from Google Reader to Bloglovin: What You Need to Know

by Jennifer on June 29, 2013

in Announcements

If you have been using Google Reader to keep up with your favorite blogs, you received noticed a LONG time ago that it was going away. You probably thought, “Oh, I have plenty of time.”

Not anymore! On Monday (in 2 days!), Google Reader will be no more. If you’ve been using it to read my blog posts, start following me by email or Bloglovin’. Don’t know what Bloglovin’ is? I’ve got you covered!

Bloglovin’ is a fun, new way to keep up with your favorite blogs. Here’s what you need to know about switching:

1. It’s easy, I swear!

The process to set up your account is quick and simple. Check out my detailed instructions below to guide you through the process step-by-step!

2. You can import your blogs from Google Reader with the click of a button.

Yup, no manual adding blogs for you! Bloglovin’ will take care of it for you, easy peasy. See my guide below for more info.

3. There’s an app for that.

Prefer to read blogs on your mobile device? No problem – Bloglovin’ has you covered! Download the free app for access to your favorite blogs when you’re on the go.

4. Organize your blogs.

I’ve divided up my blogs into a couple different categories: cookie blogs, baking blogs, general cooking blogs, home improvement blogs, funny blogs, etc. You can create your own categories, so the possibilities are endless!

5. If you’re a blogger – claim your blog easily AND get more pageviews!

You can claim your blog by adding in a verifying link to the top of a post. From there, customize your profile and more! PLUS, and this is a biggie, if a reader decides to read your entire post (rather than just an excerpt), they click over to your blog – resulting in additional pageviews!

Setting up an account with Bloglovin’ (detailed, step-by-step, no fail instructions!)

Go to www.bloglovin.com. Your screen will look like this:

setting up an account with bloglovin

Oh, look at that, a big, blue “join” button! Just what you were looking for. Click on it.

setting up an account with bloglovin

You can choose to set up an account with Facebook or by email. I chose email.

The next screen will look like this:

setting up an account with bloglovin

You will receive a verification email at the email address you provided. Click on the link in that email. I got my email immediately!

setting up an account with bloglovin

Now for the fun part! All of those blogs you follow with Google Reader? You can zap them over to Bloglovin’ with the touch of a button! Click on “Import from Google Reader.”

setting up an account with bloglovin

You will need to give Bloglovin’ permission to access your blogs and move them over from Google. Click “Accept” and you’re all done and ready to start reading your favorite blogs with Bloglovin’!

See? I told you it was easy! Now, go forth and start enjoying Bloglovin’!

1 Karen Mary Butterfly June 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

This is driving me nuts. It won’t work for me :(
When I go to claim my blog, it won’t recognize my blog. :(
My blog has not shown up on the Google Blogger feed for months now. Any ideas?
Karen

2 Jennifer June 29, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hi Karen! When I claimed my blog, I had to put a small piece of code at the top of a blog post – did you do that and it is still not working for you? Here is the FAQ section on, “I’m unable to claim my blog.” – http://www.bloglovin.com/support#c=1&q=34. I hope it helps!

3 susie June 29, 2013 at 11:58 am

well that was easy. I just kind of ignored the whole thing for awhile. But you convinced me to head over. It took 3 tries to get them to email me my verification, and I added blogs over and over and they would disappear. But all is well, it let me claim mine in one try!

4 Jennifer June 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Huh, I’m not sure what was going on with the disappearing blogs! I didn’t have any trouble with that – hope it is all sorted out now! :)

5 Mike @ Semi Sweet June 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I glad you posted this, Jennifer! I wasn’t using anything to keep track of the blogs I read. I would sometimes rely on email subscriptions or just remembering to check back on a blog from time to time. (I’m so unorganized when it comes to this stuff!) I just signed up for Bloglovin and added you to my follow list!

6 Jennifer June 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I follow a TON of blogs, and it makes it so much easier to keep up with them :) Plus, it reminds you which ones you have already read, which is super helpful too!

7 The Partiologist June 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

Thanks Jennifer – I just signed up – and I’ve got my fingers crossed that I did it right! It looks like it is working!! :)

8 Jennifer June 30, 2013 at 9:25 am

Awesome! :) I hope you like it!

9 daisy June 30, 2013 at 11:07 am

Thank you for explaining it so well!

10 Jennifer June 30, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hope it helps, Daisy! :)

11 Laura Dembowski June 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Okay, am I the only person that doesn’t get the fuss. I have never used Google Reader. I’m on Bloglovin’ but I don’t really get it either! I’m out of the technological loop.

12 Jennifer June 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I read so many blogs that I really need some kind of reader to keep them all straight! It helps me tremendously :)

13 Jill June 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I don’t know if it worked. I imported everything and it seemed successful, but when I go into my blog, it’s the same. No difference. No buttons to add. Not sure if I’m in or not.

14 Jennifer June 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi Jill! I’m not sure what you mean – were you trying to claim your blog and you’re not sure if it worked? You would have put a small snippet of code at the top of a post and once verified, you’re all set! You can download buttons from here if you want: http://www.bloglovin.com/en/widgets. Hope that helps! :)

15 Sue {munchkin munchies} June 30, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I am showing my ignorance ,s but I have a question: On my blog I have a list of blogs (My Reading List) that I follow and it’s on my blogger dashboard. Is that connected to Google Reader, or am I okay? Thanks for your time, Jennifer.

16 Jennifer June 30, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Hi Sue! That is a great question. If it is through Blogger, I don’t think it would be affected, but honestly, I’m not sure! You could set up an account with Bloglovin’ and then try to import – if nothing shows up, then it’s not connected to Google Reader. I might do it just to be on the safe side! I wish I could be more help!

17 Sue {munchkin munchies} June 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thanks! I will try it and hope I do it correctly…I will follow your directions:)

18 Jennifer June 30, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Let me know if you run into any problems and I’ll try to help! :)

19 Talia July 1, 2013 at 8:54 am

Im having the same problem as Karen. Just simply wont work after adding the code checking the RSS reader. Ive tweeted and emailed bloglovin’ waiting for a reply. hope they hurry up and sort it. I have a feeling theres a few blogs with a similar situation.x

20 Jennifer July 1, 2013 at 9:50 am

I’m so sorry, Talia! I hope they get back to you soon! I’m sure they will sort it out for you :)