So, there you are, enjoying a nice picnic. The breeze is blowing, the heat has (thankfully!) abated, and you’re enjoying all of your summertime favorites – burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, and watermelon. Life couldn’t get much better.
The ants attack!!
Those little buggers have no respect for your party – they will steal your food…and your pride. Look – they’re taking the watermelon! They bring your party to a premature end. No one got to eat the watermelon.
When I was invited to a Summer Picnic Party by Hani of Haniela’s and Beth of Hungry Happenings, I knew I wanted to stage an ant attack. I mean – it just screams picnic to me! The recipe is below, but please scroll down and enjoy all of the amazing recipes and creations from my fellow bloggers – everything from cookies to cakes, sandwiches to pasta salads (even a cordial recipe!). Scroll down even further for a fabulous giveaway with SIX, count ‘em, six winners!
- Cupcakes of your choice, in red gingham liners, if desired
- White fondant
- Circle cutter (about the same size as the tops of your cupcakes)
- Wilton red food color spray (or an airbrush, if you have one)
- A sharp knife (like an exacto knife)
- A stuff piece of paper (like cardstock or a file folder)
- Chocolate covered almonds
- Ant leg pieces (brown frosting, black licorice string – your choice!)
- Watermelon candies, optional
- Bake your favorite cupcakes as directed. Cool.
- Roll out white fondant (I like to use vegetable oil). Using circle cutter, cut out as many circles as you have cupcakes.
- To create gingham effect on fondant circles: Using a very sharp knife, cut out “bars” of equal size of the paper, like this:
- Place each circle on a disposable surface, like parchment paper or paper towels.
- Place paper guide on top of fondant circle:
- Spray lightly with Wilton food coloring spray. Turn 90 degrees and spray again:
- Lightly frost cupcakes with frosting of your choice. Gently attach the fondant circles with frosting is still tacky. Use the same frosting as “glue” to attach three chocolate covered almonds in a line, creating the ant’s body. I used strips of dried prune for the legs, but it was messy and I don’t recommend it! Use frosting or black licorice string instead. Attach the legs of choice. Finish with a piece of watermelon candy, if desired.
Thank you to all the amazing Giveaway Sponsors. Be sure to check out their websites below.
To enter giveaway, please use the Rafflecopter below. Giveaway will run from July 20th, 2013 till July 27th, 2013. 6 Winners will be picked using the Rafflecopter widget. Prizes will be picked in the order of sponsors you see above, starting with The Marshmallow Studio and ending with King Arthur Flour. Winners will receive one email from email@example.com. Winners will have 48 hours to respond. New winner(s) will be picked if we don’t hear from you. Thank you and good luck.
a Rafflecopter giveaway