Sometimes, I’m a big, ‘ol dope.
Or a not-so-great planner.
I had wanted to post these delicious little morsels BEFORE Halloween, hence the spooky pictures.
But, Halloween is over – the Christmas merchandise has already taken over the stores, and now these pictures look kinda silly.
Let’s ignore the spiders, shall we? Let’s focus on these little bites of heaven!
I had never heard of a Goo Goo Cluster until I traveled to Nashville for work. I wasn’t enamored with the traditional Goo Goo Clusters, but the peanut butter ones? AMAZEBALLS. The only place that I’ve seen them outside of Tennessee is Cracker Barrel (random, I know), but they are usually packaged in a big box and you have to buy a whole bunch. Which, with my feeble willpower, is no bueno.
So, I made some instead! Now, these don’t taste exactly like the original…they are more a cross between a Goo Goo Cluster and a Reese’s cup…but I’m certainly not complaining!
- ⅓ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅔ to 1 cup roasted peanuts, lightly salted
- 11.5 ounce bag of milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Put the first 4 ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Put mixture into the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
- Remove peanut butter mixture from fridge. Form into patties (about the size of half dollars). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press several peanuts into each patty.
- Melt together chocolate and vegetable shortening. Using two forks, dip each patty into the chocolate to coat. Place on baking sheet for chocolate to harden.