Before we get to the aforementioned awesome recipes, I wanted to give you all an update from my previous post. My stepfather has recovered amazingly well from his emergency heart surgery and he is coming home today! It is hard to believe that just over a week ago we thought we were going to lose him. So many people were involved in recovery, from the brilliant doctor who performed his surgery to the amazing nurses (one nurse even brought in cd’s for him to listen to since they shared the same musical tastes!). I’m incredibly grateful to them all. I’ve stayed with my Mom since the frantic Saturday and we traveled to the hospital every day. It has been an emotionally taxing week, but your kind comments and messages helped me tremendously. Thank you, all of you.
Now, onto the recipes! Even though I took the week off, lots of my blogging buddies were posting fabulous St. Patrick’s Day recipes. I wanted to share some of them with you today, and a couple oldies from me (you’ll be seeing some new recipes from me later this week). Feel free to pin this post, but if you want to pin a specific recipe, please follow the link to the actual post! [Keep reading…]
On Saturday morning, my stepfather (who I blogged about here) had a heart attack. As soon as my husband and I got word, we threw clothes (hoping they were clean) and whatever else we could think of into a suitcase and started the 3 1/2 hour drive to the hospital. I was nauseous the whole way. We made it there right after he got out of emergency triple bypass surgery. He made it through and now we wait.
He’s not out of the woods, but everyone has been impressed with his progress. We’re not surprised though, anyone that knows him knows that he is, above all things, a fighter.
For now, I will be staying with my Mom in Maryland for as long as I can, so I don’t know exactly when I’ll return to my regular blogging schedule. Thank you all for understanding.
To each of you, please make sure that everyone you cherish in your life knows how much they mean to you. It can all end so suddenly.
So, I’ve been reading a lot lately. And reading makes me want to write.
I was an English major in college and took tons of creative writing classes. Most of them consisted of reading your work aloud in front of the class, while they made revisions/comments on their own copy to give back to you. It was terrifying, especially for a shy, introverted gal like myself. Still, I loved it. [Keep reading…]
My Favorite Things is a series of blog posts highlighting things that I’m in love with right now. I hope you like them too!
1. Audio-Technica Headphones (from Amazon): With all of the writing I do for the blog (and more recently, for fun), a good pair of headphones can be invaluable. Hubby got me these for Valentine’s Day and even though I’m not an audiophile, the difference is totally amazing! I have been using them non-stop.
2. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (from Amazon): I’ve been reading a lot this year (it as one of my kind-of-but-not-really New Year’s Resolutions). This is the first book in The Mortal Instruments series (which I think will have 6 books total – 5 have already been published). I didn’t really know what to expect, but I’m kind of in love with these books. The world building is pretty amazing (kind of like Harry Potter), the romance is a definitely there, and they are action-packed (like The Hunger Games). There is even a movie coming out in August that I’m embarrassingly excited to see.
3. Pink Boxes from BRP Box Shop: I can’t say enough good things about BRP Box Shop and their products. The customer service is top-notch and the boxes are wonderful (kraft and white are available for the non-pink folks). They are perfect for gift giving your homemade treats!
4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (from Amazon): I really don’t say this often, but this is a life-changing book for me. I’m now a die-hard John Green fan (and have read two of his other books since reading this one). His prose is amazingly funny and poignant and he says so much in so little words. If you want to get to know characters you will never forget, you HAVE to read this book. I even
nagged encouraged my husband to read it and his assessment: “It was so good.” That’s the best you can get from him!
5. Black and White Damask Cupcake Liners by Bakers’ Stock: I used these for my lemon poppyseed muffins and I love, love, love them! Such a pretty pattern – perfect for a sophisticated treat.
6. Sephora Classic Mineral Brush: I’ve been using mineral make-up for a LONG time now. I started with the Bare Minerals brushes, but they always ended up falling apart and/or getting scratchy. After I tried this brush, I decided that I would never go back to those expensive brushes again! The bristles stay super soft, but stiff, so you feel like you can really buff the make-up into your skin. They also suck up the mineral powder like you wouldn’t believe!
So, I know that the weird mix of letters above means hugs and kisses, but do you know which one means hugs and which one means kisses? Because I didn’t until my husband enlightened me. He said the O’s are hugs and the X’s are kisses.
But…why? [Keep reading…]